PDA

View Full Version : ok. one more time - favorite torrent client?

bionnaki
December 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
One application that just seems lacking in linux is a decent, lightweight but fully-featured bittorrent client. I would use azureus, but I dont want to install java (for some reason, whenever I have java installed I have connectivity problems with my wireless router - I've given up trying to figure it out). I have been using bittorrent 4.3.1 beta from source and it's okay - I wish I could pause torrents individually.

Anyway, what do you guys use?

bjweeks
December 10th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Azureus

Slugger
December 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Azureus pwns j00

giloth
December 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Azureus just seems a bit overkill for such a simple task. I perfer Bittornado. It's a lot more customizable than the standard Bittorrent client, but with a similar interface.

I also get very nice speeds with it as well. For an easy install, get it through Automatix.

xmastree
December 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Azureus just seems a bit overkill for such a simple task.But you can do neat stuff like move the files you've downloaded, then tell it where they are now and keep seeding.

Another really neat feature I just discovered is that if you're d/l a torrent, you can see the individual files and choose not to download certain ones.

That's handy if you're looking for a particular song but don't want a whole album.

Well, it would be, but downloading songs probably a bit naughty, so don't do it.

If only it would quit sending me these annoying error messages. (see attachment). And each one has to be clicked, and slides out of the picture so you have to wait till it's gone before clicking the one behind it, and the one behind that, and so on and so on... ](*,)

Sheinar
December 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I've used CTorrent for a while and have been more than happy with it, as I don't usually bother with any of the extra functions that clients like Azureus have. I've heard rTorrent is supposed to be better than CTorrent, so I'll have to try that out next time I download anything.

bjweeks
December 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM
wtf? rTorrent, cTorrent uTorrent. I dont get it.

xmastree
December 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=rTorrent
http://www.google.com/search?q=cTorrent
http://www.google.com/search?q=uTorrent

It's all about choices...

artnay
December 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
KTorrent (http://ktorrent.pwsp.net/)

asimon
December 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I still use btdownloadcurses, it has everything I need and gets the job done.

Rackerz
December 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Azureus r00ls!

timczer
December 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Rufus also seems to work well and has a similar interface to azureus. I believe it is availabe in the repositories.

Jason-X
December 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Bittornado works for best for me. It gives you a bit more info than the default Gnome bittorrent client.

Bittornado (http://www.bittornado.com/)

Arktis
December 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Yup, i've got to say that BitTornado is the answer you are looking for.

BWF89
December 10th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I use BitTornado.

bionnaki
December 11th, 2005, 07:47 AM
does bittornado keep all of the torrents in one window? or is it multiple windows?

psusi
December 11th, 2005, 07:56 AM
does bittornado keep all of the torrents in one window? or is it multiple windows?

Bittornado is a light weight program that fetches a single torrent. You start more instances of it for additional torrents, so yes, they each get their own window. Done downloading one? Close the window.

I use Bittornado on both windows and linux. It is quite tweakable and lightweight. I hate all things Java, including Azerus. Clunky buggy resource hog.

benplaut
December 11th, 2005, 08:04 AM
i use the official client, in tandem with Alltray... works like a charm :)

bionnaki
December 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Bittornado is a light weight program that fetches a single torrent. You start more instances of it for additional torrents, so yes, they each get their own window. Done downloading one? Close the window.

I use Bittornado on both windows and linux. It is quite tweakable and lightweight. I hate all things Java, including Azerus. Clunky buggy resource hog.

eh, I dont like having multiple windows up considering I usually have several torrents seeding (or waiting to seed) at once.

hmm - guess bittornado isnt for me

Zonkle
December 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I used to use only eMule ;) :) I think it is so good.

But now on Linux I saw there is aMule ..... I dunno if it is as good as the one in Windows.

Is bittorrent really better than eMule ? .... I will look some where else for comparision .. don't get angry :P

Thanks benplaut for the Alltry program :) .. I used bittorrent original program, but keeping all of these open windows was driving me crazy :D .. this would solve it :)

Good luck ;)

bionnaki
December 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I'd rather get files off a private tracker where I know they are quality than search around some p2p for files of unknown quality. so, I prefer bittorrent to any p2p...the only p2p I use is soulseek/nicotine due to high volume of excellent, underground music.

BitTorrentBuddha
January 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
does anybody know how to get uTorrent working on ubuntu?

jrw6
January 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM
If only it would quit sending me these annoying error messages. (see attachment). And each one has to be clicked, and slides out of the picture so you have to wait till it's gone before clicking the one behind it, and the one behind that, and so on and so on... ](*,)

I also use Azureus. It's great! :KS You can get it to scan RSS feeds and automagically download new episodes of the shows you're watching, regulate it's upload/download rates based on the time of day, and all sorts of things via plugins.

To stop it from displaying that message go to the tools menu -> options
Go to the "plugins" tab and expand it. Go down to "UPnP". Look in the larger window now and you'll see a tickbox for "Report problems with the UPnP device". Untick this box, click on the "save" button in the bottom right and restart Azureus. Don't forget to go to the "file" menu and click "restart azureus". If you just close the window, it will probably still be hiding out in the notification area, rather than actually quitting.

BSDFreak
January 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM
On all my OS's i use BitTorrent. (version 4.3.5)

It's simple, it's stable and it looks the same on all OS's i run it on.

christhemonkey
January 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Azureus is the way to go!!!!

-Rick-
January 18th, 2006, 12:39 AM
KTorrent - neat features, bit buggie.
bittorrent-curses - simple but works on multiple os'es (no need to import or such..)

xequence
January 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
uTorrent is the greatest ever. Its just it doesent work on linux as far as I know.

It beats Azureus in terms of features (when you open up a torrent it asks you which files you want to download or if you want to open the torrent just for seeding).

And, plus, its only 130KB.

Done downloading one? Close the window.

Thats not very nice! You should seed to 4.0 like the good people of the bittorent world ;)

I used to use only eMule I think it is so good.

But now on Linux I saw there is aMule ..... I dunno if it is as good as the one in Windows.

Is bittorrent really better than eMule ? .... I will look some where else for comparision .. don't get angry :P

Thanks benplaut for the Alltry program .. I used bittorrent original program, but keeping all of these open windows was driving me crazy .. this would solve it

Good luck

Bittorent is 1000x better then anything else. Ever.

BitTorrentBuddha
January 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM
I like uTorrent best too, I wonder if there's a way to install it though :(

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
whatever the default is. i just click on links and it works, i dont need anything else, because i dont download that much. if i download a new distro, its probably through a torrent.

airtonix
February 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
yep i use a 500mhz machine exclusivley for torrents.

so all the window managers basically slow the thing down waaaaaayyy to much....

azereus is bloatware.....simple...i have to wait like ten minutes after a clikc in azereus for a reaction.....

now when i use xfce, and bittorrent-gui, it all runs smoothly and reacts instantly...

but im sick of clicking and crap like that to get a torrent going....
sooo, i noticed that the ncurses version of bittorrent will take a folder as an argument and start downloading all the torrent within. very nice...cause if a drop another torrent in there it will get picked up by bt-ncurses and begin downloading it...

problem is, i'd like to get rid of the monitor on the torrent box, and view everythin through a ssh session, one that i can suspend and come back to later without restarting the torrents all over....

also . i feel dumb here but how do i resume downloading torrents that have already begun with bittorrent-ncurses?

drfalkor
February 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Bittorrent 4.4.0 :)

jerome bettis
February 12th, 2006, 09:01 AM
bittornado works just fine for me. i used to use azuerus until i found this, much more lightweight and my style.

wrtpeeps
February 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
uTorrent by MILES!

hubbadub
February 13th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I use Rufus, works well enough for me, plus I like the interface.

papangul
February 13th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Opera.

Rev. Nathan
February 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Anatomic P2P.

While searching for programs, I found this. Either too big (Azureus), too buggy (KTorrent), or just too slow (BitTorrando), I was ready to give up. While it does lack the features I've come to really like it has one thing:

Blazing speeds.

I still don't understand how it trounces over anything else I've used. It's like a Ferrari in the carpool lane and the rest are compact cars crawling in the traffic jam in the lanes next to it. Ultra-fast, clean interface, and fairly light. Check it out, and see if you get the crazy speeds I'm gettin', too:

http://anatomic.berlios.de/drupal/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/anatomic/

Jucato
February 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM
The latest release of KTorrent (http://ktorrent.pwsp.net/) is actually great. Waaay better than the last one (haven't found any bugs). It has almost the same features that Azureus has, without the Java and bloat issues. Selective downloading, importing existing downloads, search engines, etc.

tseliot
February 13th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Bittorent is 1000x better than anything else. Ever.
I agree. It also has a search engine you can use to find what you need and it doesn't seem to be a RAM hog (which is GREAT)

Deaf_Head
February 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
azereus is bloatware.....simple...i have to wait like ten minutes after a clikc in azereus for a reaction.....

It def. is .. but I can't live without the selective downloading functions it has.

NeoChaosX
February 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM
KTorrent in Linux, ABC in Windows. Ever since KTorrent stoped locking up on my Kubuntu install, it's become my top BT client. Reminds me so much of ABC, too.

delaguer
February 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Opera.

I have used Opera 8.10 which has support for bittorent, but it could never get a decent download speed.

Finally I switched back to azureus 2.3.0.4 and am happy with it.