PDA

View Full Version : Geany colors question

JaxDragon
December 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have Geany installed, but how do I change the background color of the editor?

ZuLuuuuuu
December 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately you have to edit configuration files:

http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#configuration-files

DirtDawg
February 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hi. This is an old thread, but I wanted to clear this up for people who may be looking for a way to use a darker theme. It's easy!

First, download the dark theme from this page (http://code.google.com/p/geany-dark-scheme/).

Next, unzip the package you downloaded. Inside you'll find lots of files with names like "filetypes.python" and "filetypes.html." Now simply copy/paste these files into ~/.geany/filedefs/

EDIT: As of Geany version 0.16, paste said files into ~/.config/geany/filedefs/

You can either copy/paste all these files to effect everything you open, or only selected files, say filetypes.html to effect only html files.

Next time you start Geany, you will have a dark theme. :D

swappo1
June 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Anybody try this with Geany 0.17? I am not able to get the dark background to work following these instructions. It worked on my laptop a few months ago when I changed the background but I don't know what version it was. Any ideas how to get this to work?

monguin61
July 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
[sorry.. no idea about the 0.17 issue...]

I have a couple of problems with geany -

1. I can't seem to make any changes to colors for .conf files - I've edited filetypes.conf in both ~/.config/geany/filedefs AND /usr/share/geany, and none of the colors change. I check the Document>Set Filetype option in the menu, and it does say "Config file"

2. I can't get geany to automatically recognize files like .alias and .bashrc as .sh files, so I have to set the filetype manually every time I open them.

Has anyone else had these problems? Any idea how to resolve them?

Porter200el
October 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
you need to change the owner to yourself of the following directory:

/usr/share/geany

1. open terminal
2. cd /usr/share
3. sudo chown username:username geany

Then paste the files in and restart geany. I would make a copy of all the original files first, so you can restore it if you don't like the dark theme.

Sporkman
October 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Works great, thx. :)

I didn't like the current line highlighting, but it was easy to figure out how to change that, as the config files are well documented.