PDA

View Full Version : iso images corruptes and faulty

cmay
December 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
hi.
i have many problems with the iso images of ubuntu and i have now attached a screenshot from one of the errors that occur.
it started from ubuntu 7.10 being a very expensive in cd to burn to get ubuntu and i am wondering what i can do more than report it as bug to launhpad which i just did also. i have many cd with ubuntu and five computers whereas sometimes i get no problems installing and other times i get this error as the screenshot shows error 5 and i also sometimes get a busy box error and i am ubuntu user since dapper drake but if this problem with getting an iso image that can passs the md5 checksum and then afterall not being able to install continues i simply have to quit usingt ubuntu. i like ubuntu and i used to reccomend it and when i repair and fix computers which i rather want to use ubuntu for as linux distro of choice since it is
1 userfreindly
2 easy to install (should be)
3 has great community
4 known as the dell preinstalled distro on laptops.

i have other posts on this from a while back and i also seen and answered posts where others have these troubles. please do not move this to support but ifg htere is a way other than launch pad report to confront and fix the problem i think i would be very happy.

i had jaunty jackalope for a while which i had to reinstall so this screenie is from a attemt to do a intrepid install which i planned to upgrade to jaunty over the net simply since i can not get a fresh iso that is not corrupt. its a problem i think calls for some attention somewhere but i do not know what else to do than ask here.
thanks for taking the time to read this.

jenkinbr
December 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Not sure why you want this to stay here, but...
This forum is for support issues regarding the forum itself and how to use it.

Your screenshot has a glich in it, preventing it from being read.

pp.
December 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The message which is partially hidden states that there's a problem with reading the CD. That means that either the medium or the drive has a problem. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the ISO image. Apparently, the ISO image is being written just fine to the medium, but the medium then can not be read.

The message also suggest to clean the lens of the drive and to use better media. Possibly, it could be useful to burn the CD at a lower speed.

If you suspect the ISO image, you can try and see if installing ubuntu linux in a virtual machine off the ISO image creates the same problems as installing in a real hardware machine does.

bapoumba
December 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Not sure why you want to keep this one in FFH..

I had this error with my son's computer. This is a second hand computer. Gutsy installed fine, but I could never get past this error with Hardy. I seriously thought the CD drive or the hard drive were dead, as memtest went through okay, but Intrepid Beta installed without a glitch.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/245794
The solution in the bug report is to take out some ram and add it back later, which I did not try.

poebae
December 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
If the md5sum checks out correctly, the problem most likely exists with your media or burner.

Try burning the image at the lowest speed, or try using different writable media.

What I prefer to do these days for new installs is to just create a bootable USB from the CD image. That way I don't have to burn and carry around a CD - I have an installable copy of Ubuntu attached to my keychain :)

bapoumba
December 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
If the md5sum checks out correctly, the problem most likely exists with your media or burner.

Try burning the image at the lowest speed, or try using different writable media.

At the time, I tried many different CDs, some had worked on other computers, some were just burnt at low speed, some were from Canonical, one from a magazine. I do not believe this is the issue.

bapoumba
December 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM
After discussions with other Staff members, thread moved to Installation.

cmay
December 19th, 2008, 12:34 AM
i was not sure if it belongs in FFH..
i have tried all my ubuntu based distros. it is ubuntu 8,1.0 ubuntu hardy. xubuntu. crunsch bang linux eARos and flux and ordinary mint. and none would install and gave all the same error. then i installed debian unstable in it. after that i tried since i am a stubborn person and if i want to test jaunty then i will do it some how to install gobuntu. which i been downloading before answering here so i am typing from fresh gobuntu install and there was no problem installing that. version which uses not the installer that the other distros use.

i have also the problem on all my ohter machines and even tried to use the unetbootin utility which means it can be the dvd or cd drive.on five different machines. it is a bug in the isntaller and i simply could not report it as a bug right now since i forgot my launchpad acoount passwd somewhere. the reason why i placed to post in FFH is that i am concerned that others may think that ubuntu is not really so good a distribution if this affect many ohters. which i can not say if it does but i have other post where md5 sums been corrupted. so thats the reason and not to recieve help to isntall. i did it over a alternative metod than to the installer found in the downloadable cd which i have been burnng more than 5 cd to get one that can actually install in one or all my five computers. which are between from 1995 of age to a just unpacked asus eeepc four days ago. all different machines where one is a two month old amd64 machine whit complete new dvd burner which still works perfect. the md5 check sums checks out ok and i get this error or one of the language packs doing install is corupted. when you get asked to download language support on the alternative installer cd.

i worry that too many others get the problem and also i used to just install ubuntu for others as the very first choice since hardware support is great and the distro once installed is very good both for newbies and someone like me that has had linux for some years.
thanks for the replies i am going to read the posts very carefully and see what it brings up. sorry for taking time but it is a thing i as said is a bit worried about for varius reasons. it has also been very nice and easy to install ubuntu for others when i fixed their computers. so i am terrible sorry f i cant keep doing that.

cmay
December 19th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Not sure why you want to keep this one in FFH..

I had this error with my son's computer. This is a second hand computer. Gutsy installed fine, but I could never get past this error with Hardy. I seriously thought the CD drive or the hard drive were dead, as memtest went through okay, but Intrepid Beta installed without a glitch.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/245794
The solution in the bug report is to take out some ram and add it back later, which I did not try.
thanks. i knew it was a bug. the first cd i got working at all was a linux magazine dvd and not all my computers have dvd burner. i also got one working of intrepid by downloading it from a different mirror than denmark. maybe just lucky i got it working. i am going to use this working install i am on now of gobuntu 7.0.4 to upgrade all the way to jaubty jackalope for testning then i am going to follow this tread in the launch pad.
thanks.

bapoumba
December 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Best of luck, please keep us posted if you make any progress :)

cmay
December 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
i am actually upgrading from gobuntu 8.1.0 to jaunty from the internet right now.