PDA

View Full Version : Debian on the iPhone

PartisanEntity
December 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
From the very first day I got the iPhone I have been dreaming of having Linux on it.

Slowly we are getting there, Debian on the iPhone:
http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/

:)

PhoenixMaster00
December 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
This is the only reason im holding off selling my ipod touch. Slowly getting there to cant wait for a semi stable version to be ready.

Kobalt
December 18th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm eager to see further advancements of this project. Really looking forward to testing it.

hanzomon4
December 19th, 2008, 12:03 AM
apt is on the iphone now, what else do you want from debian?

PartisanEntity
December 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
apt is on the iphone now, what else do you want from debian?

I would like to replace OS X and have a Linux kernel running, with some modified desktop environment.

While the iPhone has a lot of potential, Apple and the OS are holding it back due to marketing limitations.

To unlock its true potential you have to have a completely open operating system on there, with as little barriers as possible to the user.

While the iPhone OS is nice and shiny, I am often more impressed with my wifes Nokia e71, which uses S60, and supports features the iPhone doesn't have or doesn't have by default.

amitabhishek
December 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
^^ While Unix DNA of iPhone inherently makes it more moddable, am not so sure about E71. I have one, can E71 be modded? I have been fantasizing to lay my hands on iPhone ever since it has been legally available here, its only because of its inflated price ($640 for 8 GB!) I am holding back. But with this update I am afraid sooner than later I may succumb.

Bring it on man:p!