PDA

View Full Version : Please, stop with the compiz videos on Youtube!

Larir
December 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I mean really... Is it so cool that there has to be thousands of videos of the exact same thing?

Please. Tutorial videos and reviews and such are always nice to watch but... come on. Everytime I search for something Ubuntu related there's just a crap load of videos that say "UBUNTU COMPIZ!!!!!" and show the cube spinning.

Nothin' else to say :) Thank you for reading! :)

Bachstelze
December 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I mean really... Is it so cool that there has to be thousands of videos of the exact same thing?

Isn't that what YouTube is all about?

Joeb454
December 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
*waits for somebody to post a rickroll link*

But yeah that's generally what happens with sites like that. The same thing gets put up again and again (and again...)

Artificial Intelligence
December 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM
*waits for somebody to post a rickroll link*

I'm sure CK is up for that :popcorn:

compiledkernel
December 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

:) hehe.

Therion
December 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Personally, if I see one more vid demo'ing how you can make your windows jiggle (Wobbly plugin) I'm gonna vomit up my egg nog.

With malice aforethought.

fredbird67
December 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I beg to differ with y'all on this one. Posting them on YouTube lets people currently running Windows see what Compiz is and how cool it is, and therefore, IMHO, helps to promote Linux on the desktop. I think that to insist that they be removed would hurt the demand by the casual user for Linux, not help it. And I'm all for anything that will promote Linux. :-)

Bachstelze
December 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Personally, if I see one more vid demo'ing how you can make your windows jiggle (Wobbly plugin) I'm gonna vomit up my egg nog.

That's just 'cause you haven't been around CK long enough.

richg
December 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Most of the You Tubers are either insecure or bored and need attention. THat is probably all the life they have.

Rich

Bölvağur
December 19th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I would say that people reading this section of the forum are not the ones responsible for those videos. It would surprise me a little if most of those videos are not in fact posted by people that has newly discovered linux and a beta software named compiz-fusion. Well... there are some people linked to that project that post videos on new functions sometimes.

I would think most people on the community cafe only have minimal compiz for the functionality if they even have compiz or standard wm set up.

diablo75
December 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I probably wouldn't have paid a lick of attention to Linux before I saw a compiz video three years ago. Now I'm hooked on Ubuntu and the open-source philosophy.

cardinals_fan
December 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I try to avoid YouTube. I invariably skim through the comments and end up fervently hoping that nobody posting there lives within 200 miles of me.

jedimasterk
December 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Yeah instead of compiz. Show Photoshop CS 4 on Ubuntu or something!. Oh I forgot Photoshop CS 4 doesn't run on Ubuntu. Sucks for Linux users!. Gimp is like the only basic photo editor on Linux. So what else can we show except compiz.

LateNiteTV
December 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
youtube is retarded for that exact reason. reposts and reposts and reposts.
"omg omg my desktop is spinning!!!!"
sweet. how does that help functionality?
show me a video of some guy hacking away in screen and vi and ill be impressed. not all this cube wobbly crap.

dannytatom
December 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I try to avoid YouTube. I invariably skim through the comments and end up fervently hoping that nobody posting there lives within 200 miles of me.

Ditto. I like Vimeo (http://vimeo.com), myself.

Circus-Killer
December 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
well, the brain-cells are working overtime here today. ever occured to any of you to just not watch the videos. really, if people want to post them, good for them. if they get no hits, then they'll not post it. if they do get hits, whats the problem?

just cos we as a community are pretty much now used to compiz almost as a default for desktops, millions of windows users are still unaware.

anyways, my main point is if you dont like the videos, or make you wanna hurl, then dont watch them. there is a reason why youtube shows thumbnail pics and title of videos before you click on them. if it sais "compiz" in the title, dont click on it. sounds simple enough to me. but maybe i should just join mensa. ;)

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
It annoys me that the first thing people want to show you about Ubuntu is Compiz.

Compiz isn't Ubuntu! It's a third-party application that doesn't really provide much functionality. Sure, it adds a nice touch here and there, but as surprising as it may be to some people, you can run Ubuntu without it.

Gasp!

How about showing off things that matter, like installing applications from the repository, or how you can access the internet on a 3G network without extra software? (I'm posting this using my cell phone for internet :))

But wait. The desktop cube is so much more important! ](*,)

billgoldberg
December 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Please. Tutorial videos and reviews and such are always nice to watch but... come on. Everytime I search for something Ubuntu related there's just a crap load of videos that say "UBUNTU COMPIZ!!!!!" and show the cube spinning.

Nothin' else to say :) Thank you for reading! :)

It's youtube. Everyone uploads crap there.

barbedsaber
December 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM

it doesn;t work on aussies, cause we have to wait a few seconds for the video to buffer.
slow internet, serves a purpose. The barrier between me, and your rickroll.

billgoldberg
December 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM

True.

conehead77
December 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Everytime I search for something Ubuntu related there's just a crap load of videos that say "UBUNTU COMPIZ!!!!!" and show the cube spinning.

Use some search flags:
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=ubuntu+-compiz+-beryl&search_type=&aq=f

No more compiz/beryl stuff now :)

WaeV
December 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I like that new videos are posted because I have access to a video of compiz's new features if I want to show them to somebody. I don't like having to used that "UBUNTU + COMPIZ vs VISTA" one with the blue background, because it's so old.

BWF89
December 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Use some search flags:
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=ubuntu+-compiz+-beryl&search_type=&aq=f

No more compiz/beryl stuff now :)
I didn't know about that. Thanks for posting.

forrestcupp
December 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, I'll stop posting those Compiz videos.

MikeTheC
December 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
And now for the MikeTake(tm):

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I would have thought this to be common sense myself, but perhaps not. I really don't understand why you folks are complaining so much. You should be thrilled that so many people are dazzled by a product of F/OSS that they want everyone to know about it. And if it's something you find nauseatingly repetitive, then why do you continue to watch? You have only yourself to blame for that.

Elevated attention in the "general public's eye" is a good thing.

It is! Why in the world would you think otherwise? A lot of you folks like to whine and complain and bitch about the fact that X, or Y, or Z program aren't ported to Linux (whether commercial or not). The single best way to deal with that is to increase the size of our user base. Is this anathema to you or something? Besides, the more people who use Linux, the more powerful the argument becomes, and frankly the tighter we get to squeeze Microsoft and Apple to become more competitive.

How many Compiz-Fusion videos do we need?

I think we need three core foundational C-F videos, which should obviously be posted on YouTube, but should be made accessible from Compiz-Fusion.org, FreeDesktop.org, Ubuntu.com, and numerous other locations. These videos should split up the following amongst them in a logical and appropriate way:

What is a 3D desktop?
When and where can a 3D desktop be useful?
What is Compiz-Fusion's relationship to F/OSS?
What is different and better about C-F when compared to Luna, Aero and Aqua?
How can a normal person leverage C-F for their own benefit?
What are the basic hardware requirements to effectively run C-F?

Ideally, these should be (or have every appearance of being) professionally-produced, with strong narration and appropriately-chosen musical cues. Moreover, they should represent C-F on all the different desktop environments which support it (Gnome, KDE, etc.) And it probably wouldn't hurt if they are somewhat patterned after the tutorial videos Apple puts up for their own products. That doesn't mean they should be a near-verbatim copy, but used as a reference for how to effectively communicate the points covered.

But we need more than C-F videos on YouTube.

I absolutely agree with this. We need to have a series of videos out there, done with the same basic concept as the C-F videos I proposed above, for the following:
Each of the major DEs (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Black/Flux/Open Box)
OpenOffice
Other "Office Productivity" software, including Evolution
Sauerbraten and other such native Linux 3D games
Software Development tools (vi, emacs, etc.)
"Best Of" interviews with the principles, major developers (don't forget Mozilla!), distro folks, members of the global community (such as folks like us) about why we think F/OSS is a good thing and (in the case of "regular" Linux users) how we have actually been able to do more than merely "get by" with Linux, but rather to actually replace Windows or Mac OS X.

Bear in mind, too, that it's not like Linux is a completely unknown quantity out there. I'm always surprised and impressed with how many people "in the public square" already know about Linux, to say nothing of the adoption rate by so-called average computer users. It's a LOT higher than I would otherwise expect (which is not in anyway to suggest "total domination tomorrow" or any such thing).

We're making progress, folks, but don't cut our community off at the knee-caps undeservedly. Ok?

fatality_uk
December 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It's funny, they say "ooobuntu".

I have heard/read some posts/articles recently that almost make me want to slap my forehead. Too many YouTubers showing compiz, Mark Shuttleworth is diluting Linux!!!](*,)

wolfen69
December 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
eye candy is for the young, status conscious individual. looks don't matter to me. see my girlfriend as proof. :lolflag:

koolkatkiwi
December 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
forrestcup, very funny. I love your sense of humour. That website is my guru.

MikeTheC - I agree wholeheartedly - great post.

fatality_uk - have a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy. Ubuntu is a Zulu word, and that is the correct pronunciation - with the "oo" sound. Sounds funny to our "AmerEnglish" ears, I guess, but we really should try to use the original pronunciation if we can (IMHO).

Cheers,
Kath

fatality_uk
December 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
eye candy is for the young, status conscious individual. looks don't matter to me. see my girlfriend as proof. :lolflag:

*chuckles.... :lolflag:

ellalan
December 20th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I don't watch them coz I got most of them in my Desktop.

Squid Tamer
December 20th, 2008, 04:35 AM
That's one of the things that drew me into Linux! (Not the main one though)

linuxguymarshall
December 20th, 2008, 04:59 AM
:lolflag:

MikeTheC
December 20th, 2008, 05:12 AM
The only other points I would like to add to the post I previously made are these:

1. Google should get some representation in these materials as well. After all, they're the world's largest search engine, the world's most widely and frequently used search engine, and Google runs on Linux.

2. Much of the stock market uses Linux.

3. We need some entertaining and credible presenters out there talking about the value of liberty and the value of peer-review as it pertains to software development. It sure wouldn't hurt if we had our own -- I dunno, for lack of a better example, Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh of open source -- so that people understand there's more at stake here than just software.

4. I've said before and elsewhere that Linux shouldn't be seen courting hardware developers (that is, appearing "overly needy"), but rather we need to be the focus and focal point which they seek out. I believe the way to do that is to have (and maintain) an independent buzz (much like how Apple has managed to achieve) and the way to achieve that is to approach "Linux Marketing" through all of these organic, grass-roots means, but with polish and professionalism.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.