PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob needs help with partition

Hopelessnoob
December 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hello there! As you have already guessed I am new to linux. But I also am not at all happy with windows and want to put Ubuntu on my Dell Latitude. I have an older version of Ubuntu (Couple of years old, the first version without live disk, 5.something I think. I chose this version since my machine has modest specs (850MHz processor, 256 Mb ram). I think I am ok with most of the installation except partitioning. Question: Is this automatic or do I need extra utilities to accomplish this? Also I have an external hard disk with all my music on it that is is NTFS. Can I transfer files from this disk onto my Linux hard drive? Guidance at this crucial time will be more than appreciated.

logos34
December 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
with those specs you might consider running a lighter version like Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/get)--that way you can have the most recent release (8.10).

When you start the installation you will be given a choice of either 'Guided' or 'manual' partitioning. And yes, you'll be able to read and copy files from your ntfs to linux