PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 on Vista 64 bit preinstalled

SNURK
December 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey guys!!

I'm having a whole lot of fun with Ubuntu today, I previously installed it on my windows XP machine and it worked like a charm. Today I got a new laptop and figured I'd go Ubuntu 64 bit straight away.

Now, I popped the CD and made Ubuntu 8.10 to make the OS boot from CD. After this the keyboard and mousepad stopped functioning, which means I cannot select Ubuntu nor Windows when prompted when starting up the computer. I also cannot get into BIOS since F2/F12/ Shift + F10 doesnt work while the keyboard is dead.

I also cannot login to Windows Vista since I cant write my password (the fingerprint authentication failed simultaneously), I also cannot boot from the Vista installation CD that came with my laptop since it requires me to "hit a key to boot from the CD"..

When I simply leave the Ubuntu CD in while starting up the computer it doesnt even ask if to boot from it but goes straight into vista.

Does anyone have any idea how to get out of this? I'm using Zepto Nox A15 ( http://zepto.com/Shop/Notebook.aspx?notebookid=1079 ) With CPU Intel C2 DUO P8400 2,26GHz 1066MHz 3MB-25Watts

:confused:

// SNURK

Melwasul
December 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I know its not what youd like to hear, but..have you tried replugging them in?

SNURK
December 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Replugging them in? As in opening the laptop? :confused:

Melwasul
December 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
eeep..sorry, kinda skipped over the whole laptop thing. Sorry!

hrm... I really have no clue then... Sorry..

Edit:

just had a thought. Do you have a usb keyboard somewhere? I've never tried it and don't know if it would auto-detect it while booting up...but if you have one, id give it a shot.

SNURK
December 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Interesting thought Melwasul, because the USB mouse does actually work, havent got any keyboard tho.. hm.

Now, if I pull out the cable while the computer is on, next time it reboots, it shows the prompt where u can choose "safe mode"...etc. From there I can actually use the keyboard!

Now trying to reinstall Vista from there.. hrm.

Melwasul
December 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
if you get to the "safe mode" page, you should be able to start up the pc normally.

did you make a partition of ubuntu or did you use wubi?

SNURK
December 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
True, maybe I could.. but now im halfway through reinstalling already.. :p

Well neither really, I took the first choice (to install or boot form CD) making Ubuntu put in a dual boot menu on startup.

But I never got that far as to actually being able to choose Ubuntu to boot/install from.

So.. I am not really sure what happened.. or how to avoid it from happening again.. :confused:

Melwasul
December 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
try getting onto vista and see if you can get rid of that ubuntu.

have you used ubuntu before? if you havn't try using wubi. explore the cd and it should be at the bottom. or just pop the cd in and itll ask if you want to install with windows or something like that.

with this acting the way it is, i suggest wubi anyway, that way if theres a problem you can switch back to windows and just uninstall wubi.

SNURK
December 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I havent really used Ubuntu much at all (about the same as vista) but I figured it should be able to cover all my needs.. hopefully being more stable..

Yeah, I might just have to go for wubi once I get vista back up.. shame though, would be nice with dual boot. ah well, thanks for the tips!

Melwasul
December 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
with wubi youre still dual booting.
for the most part youre just installing ubuntu easier with wubi. but dont go hard booting! it has a higher chance of messing up ubuntu and having to reinstall it if you do that.