View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backuppc failing

December 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've gone through all the How-tos and googled but I cannot get backup PC to successfully run. I am using the smb method and trying to setup a test method from my laptop I use to configure the server (8.10). I have removed the "-N" flag from the backuppc config. file SmbClientFullCmd, etc. of the Smb paths/commands section as I noted this was a Ubuntu bug on the web somewhere. The result log I get is:

2008-12-18 14:12:06 Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share adminDocuments)
2008-12-18 14:12:44 Backup aborted (No files dumped for share adminDocuments)

But that seems pretty unuseful!

I can ping my laptop with it's smb name so I'm pretty sure everything is in place. And I have added the user to the XP backup group.

Any advice appreciated.

Any advice

December 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Further trials with this is that if I type:

smbtree -b into the server command line all I get out is a workgroup of "HOME" which I do not have! I do NOT see my workgroup and connected machines.

Is this a red herring or has something not been setup properly in Samba to get backuppc working for SMB method of backup?

December 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Probably a long shot, but try disabling XP's built in firewall for testing....just in case (I know it blocks smb requests by default)

December 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
You're not looking at the right log file.
This looks like being BackupPC main log file. Check the XferLog or XferLogBad for this client.

January 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Below the log for this case. It does not give much clue as to the real problem. Advice appreciated.

Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/lt7/XferLOG.bad.z, modified 2008-12-22 16:17:16

Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\lt7\\acdoruser -U ACDorUser -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc -
full backup started for share acdoruser
Xfer PIDs are now 11419,11418
tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share acdoruser)
Backup aborted (No files dumped for share acdoruser)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

January 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've now installed rsync both ends. Backuppc now reports that the client has timed out. This may be slight progress but I still have not got backuppc working. I thought I would try a bit longer before I give up and uninstall it. Can anyone advise how I can find out why it's timing out?