PDA

View Full Version : Songbird minus all the web/browser stuff. Possible?

kpkeerthi
December 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Just tried the 1.0 final release of Songbird. Overall seems pretty good. But I feel it is way heavier with all the web and browser stuff integrated with it. Is it possible (perhaps with compile-time options) turn off all the web stuffs and keep just the media player part of it.

Polygon
December 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
no, because then it wont be songbird. the browser is the idea behind the whole project

Johnsie
December 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
It would be nice. All that browser stuff is what slows down the performance of Songbird. Songbird inherits many of the performance problems that Firefox has been suffering for years. Problem is, without the web stuff Songbird wouldn't have very many features. All it would be able to do is play mp3s and maybe radio stations. There are already applications that can do those things (and also play cd's). Ubuntu really needs an advanced media player cable of organising music AND playing videos, dvds and cd's. As far as I'm aware there is no all-in-one package like that yet. Totem is the closest, but doesn't manage a music collection well.

koffeinöverdos
December 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Thats probably the only thing I don't like about Songbird - it's a little heavy, but I guess it needs to be. I've gotten used to it, it's worth it.

andras artois
December 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Sonybird without web browser would be great however I would hate it to be able to play video's. Thats what VLC is for.

acelin
December 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Songbird is incredibley fast in Mac, but really slow in Windows and Linux.

acelin
December 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I guess itunes has an integrated web browser as well...

linuxguymarshall
December 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
It's called Amarok

FuturePilot
December 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
It would be nice. All that browser stuff is what slows down the performance of Songbird. Songbird inherits many of the performance problems that Firefox has been suffering for years. Problem is, without the web stuff Songbird wouldn't have very many features. All it would be able to do is play mp3s and maybe radio stations. There are already applications that can do those things (and also play cd's). Ubuntu really needs an advanced media player cable of organising music AND playing videos, dvds and cd's. As far as I'm aware there is no all-in-one package like that yet. Totem is the closest, but doesn't manage a music collection well.

Banshee. The only thing it can't do is play DVDs.

kpkeerthi
December 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'd love to use Banshee but it's terribly unstable for me.

bp1509
December 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
d

icecruncher
December 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
if you are willing to mess with the sourcecode, sure, anything is possible.
you could start your own project.
but is it worth all the work.
just keep looking for alternatives.