PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 HDTV and Nvidia

solidsnake666
December 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm having an issue with Ubuntu 8.10 displaying on my HDTV.

I'm using an Nvidia 9600GT using the S-video out to component converter that came with the card to connect to the TV. I have the linux drivers from Nvidia installed. The TV's native resolution is 1360x768.

The issue I'm having is that in this setup is that with the nvidia drivers installed The top and bottom of the desktop gets cut off. The resolution seems to be locked at 1280x768 max. Before I installed the Nvidia drivers the resolution was the same but it didn't cut anything out.

If there's any other info I can provide please let me know. I'd like to get this working with the screen not getting cut off while still having the functionality of the nvidia driver.

Thanks in advance!

solidsnake666
December 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I hate bumping my own thread and I apologize if it's against forum rules, but i'm really stuck on this.

I've tried editing the xorg.conf to include the resolution of my TV but it doesn't seem to help at all. I have no idea what to do :confused:

solidsnake666
December 19th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I don't know if this helps but I'll post the contents of my xorg.conf as it is right now. I've made changes over and over again at this point with either the same results or worse. I hope someone can help me get this sorted out I'm getting quite frustrated.

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder63) Tue Nov 4 14:07:17 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Insignia TV"
VendorName "Insignia"
ModelName "NS-LCD26-09"
DisplaySize 565 318
HorizSync 30.0 - 68.7
#VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
VertRefresh 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1360x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

vallhalla81
December 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
i am also having the same problem any advise would be amazing, thank you

solidsnake666
December 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I spent most of my weekend trying to figure this out. I'm really stumped. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to help.

Are there any other config files that handle resolution other than xorg.conf when nvidia drivers are installed?

CharlieNixon
January 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I have an Eee PC 1000 with an Intel 945GM for video. I bought a VGA to component RBG adapter. I get almost NO output.

I, like you, have no idea where to go here. Hopefully somebody can help us all.

cunami
January 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'm also having exactly the same problem - top/bottom and something on the left side is also cut off. I'm using 32" Toshiba LCD TV via VGA, which native resolution is 1366x768, but xorg somehow detects 1360x768...

Any ideas how to solve it? Or maybe it is possible somehow to set "margins" for screen, so the cut off parts wouldn't be used for drawing windows/taskbars etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

CharlieNixon
January 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
my display is not the cut down or the wrong resolution...it is non-existent