PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how can I migrate from ubuntu 8.4 to ubuntu ultimate 2.0?

antez
December 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
hello, I use ubuntu a year now but some problems are stuck and i can not fix them (compiz is messed up from an update, emerald the same my sound has some problems) if i migrate from ubuntu 8.4 to ubuntu ultimate 2.0 will any of this problems go away? and if yes, how can I migrate from ubuntu 8.4 to ubuntu ultimate 2.0? :confused:

...thnx in advance...

cb951303
December 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
... messed up ... some problems ...

unless there is a psychic among us I highly doubt you will get an answer.

antez
December 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
i have a radeon x1800 and after every update my drivers are beeing changed to others that don't work and when i change them something is not working properly every time, so for this time i can not use compiz, and for the sound to work i have to restart my computer 6 times (lol) (don't ask me how this is happening because i don't know) so what can i do?

Yardarm
December 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think Ubuntu Ultimate is a fork from Ubuntu and hence there would be no migration path, but you could certainly do a fresh install. However, since it is probably based off of Ubuntu with a few package changes and I doubt it has made any changes to the packages themselves, you'll probably have the same issues you have now.

If you want a true fresh perspective of compiz, how about trying a different branch of Linux like Fedora or SuSE?

antez
December 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
so can i update my system to ultimate 2.0?

Yardarm
December 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
You can't go to the update manager and tell it you want to upgrade to Ubuntu Ultimate.

But you could download the ISO and install it over top of (or along side) your existing Ubuntu installation. It looks like the home for that is here: http://ultimateedition.info/

cb951303
December 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
What's your sound card?

What I recommend is: Do a fresh ubuntu 8.10 install.

Install/activate your ATI card from Menu>System>Admin>Hardware Drivers (Compiz should be enabled when you do that)

Mark Phelps
December 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The link below is to an "upgrade" thread on the Ubuntu Ultimate forum. Looks like it CAN be done but it's a lot of work. Suggest you check it out (and the forum):

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2142&p=22535&hilit=upgrading#p22535

BTW, since Ubuntu Ultimate 2.0 is based on Intrepid, you get 8.10 as a byproduct of the upgrade.

antez
December 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
i make the sound working but compiz is not working at all, thnx a lto for your concern but i decided to go and buy at last a graphic card :mad: and i will consider installing ultimate 2.0, what better do i have to do on my vacations??:popcorn: