PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus issue: invalid mount options

Shocker
December 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Everybody!

Yesterday evening I wanted to set a Ubuntu 8.04.1 to mount a FAT32 partition ("MYPARTITION" ) at each boot time.
With this aim I ended up adding "auto" to the mount options in Nautilus, right clicking MYPARTITION --> properties from the Places menu.
Now I receive an error message: invalid mount options trying to mount "MYPARTITION" and I cannot open the properties of MYPARTITION neither.

To fix the problem I tried using gconf-editor but I couldn't find any "MYPARTITION" in the register.

1) How can I restore the default (blank) options?
2) Which is the proper way to mount a partition (FAT32) at each boot time?

P.S.: Does the change affect the fstab file? I couldn't find any backup file (like ~fstab that I supposed to be created in this case) and the file seems to have not been modified lately.

Thanks for any hint!

Shocker

ajgreeny
December 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not certain whether things have moved on since this was the instructions given me, but you can automount a fat32 partition at boot by adding this line to your fstab file, appropriately edited (/dev/hda1 will need changing) to point to the right partition, with the command
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 /media/windows vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000 0 0

I hope this helps, and also that it works without problems. Gedit should make a backup for you anyway, or do0 that manually first, so you can always restore the old version of fstab if there are any difficulties.

Shocker
December 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks ajgreeny for your kind reply.

BTW does anyone lnow any possible solution to fix the Nautilus issue?

I've been searching around the internet with no good results...

ajgreeny
December 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
No problem. By the way, did that line in fstab work OK?

The reason I did not give you an answer to your "nautilus issue" is that I can't quite work out what your problem is. I use a desktop with only one panel, not the gnome default of two, and I add the "Disk mounter" applet to that to mount partitions when I need them, rather than have them mount at boot time.

I realise this is not the way a lot of people use their machines but it suits me, as I seldom need to get into my small windows partition these days, in fact I almost never use it anymore, and I don't want that or an alternative linux distro I have installed (Mint6) mounted when I boot ubuntu.

danielpalos
December 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I hope you don't mind my intruding on this conversation, but I would like to ask about what type of applications would need a FATx partition, that could not, alternatively, be run from a windows emulator (e.g. wine)?

Shocker
December 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hi danielpalos,
I just need this FAT 32 Partition in the (unlikely) event of data transfer from Linux to M$...
Thanks for any additional suggestion