PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot 2 hard drives

sweatyscrotum
December 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hey guys
im pretty new to ubuntu but i have been checking it out and it looks really cool. so i have an older hard drive lying around my house that has windows XP on it. I want to take that hard drive and wipe xp off of it, then put ubuntu on it. I want to then have that hard drive in the computer im currently typing on and have it act as a dual boot. that way i have 1 hard drive for linux and one for xp. Can someone explain to me in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL how i would go about doing this?
Thanks in advance

natravis
December 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM
check out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=677880#post677880
some more detail here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902

I didn't write either one, just googled "dual boot xp ubuntu two hard drives" and that was what came up. Remember, almost every obstacle in Ubuntu has been resolved on the forums at some point so start with a google of your problem and look for an "ubuntuforums.org" address to start with.

Also, make sure to thank lha in his post.

xjcannonx
December 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
It is actually really easy
1.Download ubuntu 8.10 from the website
1.a. Make sure you burn the downloaded iso at slowest speed on a cd-r preferably(but a cd-rw or even dvd-r/rw will work) burn it as disc-at-once or option similar to that...also it has to be burned as an iso, not data or whatever

2. pop it in your computer that you want to wipe clean.
2.a. You have to set your computer to boot from cd drive first, usually hit one of the F buttons or esc/del, i dont know your particular case
2.b. Once you get it to boot from the disc, ubuntu should come up and you should see an option to "check cd" make sure you do this to make sure the cd burned correctly.
2.c. You can then go through the installpretty easily and when you get to partitioning you can select the first option i believe which is Guided - entire disk.

Dual boot is next but lets see if this can be knocked out first...

|{urse
December 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hey guys
im pretty new to ubuntu but i have been checking it out and it looks really cool. so i have an older hard drive lying around my house that has windows XP on it. I want to take that hard drive and wipe xp off of it, then put ubuntu on it. I want to then have that hard drive in the computer im currently typing on and have it act as a dual boot. that way i have 1 hard drive for linux and one for xp. Can someone explain to me in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL how i would go about doing this?
Thanks in advance

You're gonna want to change your username before the admins have their way with you.