PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sansa mp3 player

andrea000
December 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hello all i am looking for some software or a way to sync or put mp3's on my sansa connect mp3 player.
Thanks

XOXOXOXOX

ingeva
December 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hello all i am looking for some software or a way to sync or put mp3's on my sansa connect mp3 player.
Thanks

XOXOXOXOX

I don't know what version you have but with mine I can change the USB mode so when you connect to the computer the Sansa player looks just like an USB disk. Now you can do whatever you want, no extra software needed.

BTW, I've done the same with my Nikon camera, which also has the proprietary mode set as default. By changing to normal mode it can be accessed from most computers without having to install the proprietary software.

andrea000
December 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have ububtu 8.04.I have pluged my mp3 player in but nothing shows up.Do i need to install anything to get this to work?How do i change my usb mode so it will show up?
Thanks

IanW
December 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
How to change usb mode varies between players. Which one do you have?

timcredible
December 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
try the other usb setting on the sansa, and then when you plug it in, the system should bring up rythmbox and you will see an icon on the bottom left that is your sansa. add mp3s to rythmbox from your hard drive (or cd) and then highlight the mp3s you want and drag them to the sansa icon, wait for them to transfer (progress bar in bottom right of rythmbox), and then properly unmount the sansa (right-click on the icon on the desktop and choose 'unmount device'), wait until icon goes away. when you disconnect the sansa, it should say it's rebuilding database, and you're all set.

andrea000
December 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
How to change usb mode varies between players. Which one do you have?

I have a sansa connect and ubuntu 8.04

andrea000
December 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
try the other usb setting on the sansa, and then when you plug it in, the system should bring up rythmbox and you will see an icon on the bottom left that is your sansa. add mp3s to rythmbox from your hard drive (or cd) and then highlight the mp3s you want and drag them to the sansa icon, wait for them to transfer (progress bar in bottom right of rythmbox), and then properly unmount the sansa (right-click on the icon on the desktop and choose 'unmount device'), wait until icon goes away. when you disconnect the sansa, it should say it's rebuilding database, and you're all set.

This does bring up rythmbox but it will not let me do anything with it.It will not even show any mp3's that are already on the player and it does not show a icon on the desktom only in rhythmbox???

Thanks

wramshaw
December 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The model of Sansa will make a difference I have heard of
some Ubuntu users having good results with the e series players

Here is a link to what was for me a helpful discussion:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312196

It mentions the sansa forums at this site:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

which were also very helpfull.

My own is a c250 (I think) with the wrong firmware version it
does not have the option of USB mode.

Good luck

Bill

andrea000
January 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Happy New Year all,

Please help me
I still can't get my sansa connect mp3 player to connect to ubuntu i have no usb setting on the mp3 player is there any other way to mount it as a hard drive or a software that will let me move mp3's from my computer to my mp3 player.

Thank you so much

YorNamHere
January 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I still can't get my sansa connect mp3 player to connect to ubuntu i have no usb setting on the mp3 player is there any other way to mount it as a hard drive or a software that will let me move mp3's from my computer to my mp3 player.

Can you give us a model number for your Sansa (ie. e260, Fuze, Clip, c200)? This will allow us to help you out better. As far as switching USB modes, you should be able to go under Settings in the main menu and select USB Mode. You will have two options there: The first is MSC. This means the computer will treat your Sansa like a flash drive. Second is MTP. This setting makes you computer treat it like a music player. Try switching between these two modes and see if one works over the other.

In a side note:
I think that I am having the same problem with my Sansa on 8.10. I have an e260 that I have Rockboxed. When it is in MSC mode, it will show Connected for a second and then it will disconnect. Nothing shows up on the desktop and Rhythmbox doesn't recognize it either. In MTP mode there is again no icon on the desktop and it is ONLY recognized by Rhythmbox. BUT, in Rhythmbox, it does not display all of the files that are on the player and when I try to transfer files to the player, Rhythmbox will show that they are transferring, but nothing is written to the player. Occasionally it will write a file to the player but most of the time I have to go into Windows and add the files manually. I have read through the aforementioned tutorial but it does not discuss this problem.

If anyone can help with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

andrea000
January 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
My mp3 player is a sansa connect mp3 player i don't think the player has usb setting on it.It may have came out then they added the usb settings or if it has them i can't find them it's not under settings.

the player has been discontinued but here is a link to the user manual
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/Sansa%20Connect%20User%20guide.pdf

thank you so much

xoxoxoxo