PDA

View Full Version : So where did this geek girl thing come from? I'm terrible at maths!

xarte
December 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I'm not too sure where this unleash-your-inner-geek thing has come from... is it normal to feel a little thrill when you come across something like this?

http://axiom.anu.edu.au/~okeefe/p2b/power2bash/power2bash.html

Like OOH! I might even be able to understand this! And it's so fascinating! Like a whole box of Lindor balls or Perttu Kivilaakso wearing leather. Yum!

and I want this for my birthday
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/ae43/
(given that a new computer with water cooling and one of those pretty Thermaltake boxes is probably out of the question. I like the blue lights.)

I practically salivate browsing ThinkGeek - the kids have worked out that anything they ask for from there they've got a fair chance of getting.

Not that I'm complaining. My daughter put up a really good argument for evolution capped off with 'if god can be eternal why can't the universe, hmmm?' before the teacher stepped in and stopped the discussion. Atta girl!

magmon
December 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Hehe, I think me and your daughter would have quite the conversation. That mini computer is pretty cool btw, but it doesnt seem to be linux compatable.

MikeTheC
December 18th, 2008, 04:42 AM
"Me and your daughter" ???

What kind of English is that?

xarte
December 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Yeah I bet.... btw I don't mean to be disrespectful to religious forum members, its just that I'm as proud of her for defending her beliefs as others might be of theirs, whatever they are, you know. She's a real thinker.

I've just discovered this: - make your own OS

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/roll_your_own/

WAAHH ! How cool! It looks like it might assume a bit too much prior knowledge for my comfort but if I can shoehorn some C++ basic concepts into my head over Christmas.....

xarte
December 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM

you obviously haven't hung around forums long enough. After too many years of working online and now playing Warcraft, I think I have finally become immune to bad grammar, and in fact use it myself on a daily basis.

The only thing that still gets up my nose is a misused apostrophe.

magmon
December 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM

What are you, my mom -.-? "Me and your daughter" works perfectly well for me thank you very much.

xarte
December 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Do you think there's some sort of Geek gene that means you can't just do things the easy way. It's like this.

You play guitar. You build your own guitar (just like Brian May, if only you could source the 100-year-old fireplace timber for the neck.)

You paint. You grind your own pigments and experiment with dodgy Old Master paint recipies.

You cook. You use a mortar and pestle to create spice concoctions, preferably using an old Roman recipe. Your ambition is to create a proper 'ovo usque ad mala' Roman banquet.

You learn a language. Classical Latin is good, but you'd really love to learn Aramaic. Or you teach yourself Old Norse.

You tinker with computers. You build your own. You write your own OS, or at least seriously deconstruct an existing one....

Now why is that? Why don't we just play a guitar that someone else made, use a reputable brand of paint, cook from a Jamie Oliver recipe, learn French, and just use a computer to... do stuff. Word processing and spreadsheets and facebook stuff.

acelin
December 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
What are you, my mom -.-? "Me and your daughter" works perfectly well for me thank you very much.

It should be
"Your daughter and I."

Always place your self last. It's common sense.

Lostincyberspace
December 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Why don't we just play a guitar that someone else made, use a reputable brand of paint, cook from a Jamie Oliver recipe, learn French, and just use a computer to... do stuff. Word processing and spreadsheets and facebook stuff.

I do!

The only thing that I do in what you listed is grind spice, but not by Mortar and Pestle, I use blender. Just because buying preground takes way a lot of the flavor and adds a lot to the cost.

Any kind of back on topic the culminating evolution argument was a very bad arguement, because the universe is forever.

xarte
December 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I do!

The only thing that I do in what you listed is grind spice, but not by Mortar and Pestle, I use blender. Just because buying preground takes way a lot of the flavor and adds a lot to the cost.

Any kind of back on topic the culminating evolution argument was a very bad arguement, because the universe is forever.

yeah I don't mean we all do all those things, just some examples. I'm particularly bad for taking not just the road less traveled but the really awkward, rock-strewn one... (getting half way and deciding that the highway was maybe a better idea, after all...)

Re the universe: exactly, that was her whole point. That the universe could be forever (in each direction, past and forwards, as well as outwards) - that god doesn't have the monopoly on forever.

I'm thinking of organizing a class on secular reason and ethics so that the kids who don't want to attend scripture have an alternative, but getting resources together (suitable for a cross-section of primary kids) is quite a challenge.

Fascination
December 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM

It should be
"Your daughter and I."

Always place your self last. It's common sense.

Everytime you point a finger, three are pointing back at you.

Im firmly of the belief that unless your own posts are 100% perfect with regards to grammar and structure then you really shouldn't be pulling other people up.

With regards to the opening post however; that DIY computer looks awesome but I have a feeling that if I bought one it would sit on my desk unbuilt - I have no follow through with things like that! :P