PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMware or virtual box in linux

luke0927
December 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Hopefully this is the best forum if not mods please move

OK i can get certain copies of VMware for free through work...I have never messed with any type of virtual machine software....which would you recommend installing in linux to learn an play with...i want to install XP pro in my linux copy....

Im sure hte VMware is going to have more features and things since its purchased program but for those who have used both which would you say is better for the beginner

thanks

bhaverkamp
December 18th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I have been using VMware since 2004. I have tried each new alternative as they came out but always went back to Workstation. The only issues I have occassionally run into is having it stop working after a kernel upgrade and getting compiler errors when I reran the installer. I think the GUIs are prettier on the alternatives but then you don't spend much time looking at their GUIs. The unity feature is nice if it works for you. Seems to work fine on single display setups; less so on multidisplay setups.

binbash
December 18th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I both use virtualbox and vmware workstation.I prefer virtualbox.

Halfwalker
December 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I both use virtualbox and vmware workstation.I prefer virtualbox.
Why exactly ? What is it about VirtualBox that you prefer ?

I've used VMWare for years, and am currently using VirtualBox on Intrepid on a quad-core Xeon. VirtualBox works fine, but is missing a few features, making me think about going back to VMWare ...

Use more than one cpu in a VM
Adjust some parameters of VM while it's running
64-bit guest OS (still experimental in 2.1.0)
Virtual disk resizing

D.

markharding557
December 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
i like virtualbox because it is open source and the ose version is in ubuntu's repository.
it works fine by the way

devthx
December 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I used only VirtualBox and never try VMWare. It's work fine for me. use with windows xp and windows mobile activesync.