PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Choosing the right desktop for my machine?

300Z
December 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Hi all,

I recently installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my machine (older Dell Dimension 3000 box, P4 2.80ghz and 512 RAM), I started to get the hang of things but it's running very very slow... :(
If I don't have any programs running the CPU stays around 12-20% but if I open any programs the CPU pegs at 100% and stays there... :( I tried to tweak things a little but since I'm new to linux I don't know that much. I posted a question about this on the Kubuntu forum and I think the conclusion was that I don't have enough RAM to run Kubuntu. I have win XP installed on the same machine and it runs fairly smoothly...

So the question is, did I messed something up and made Kubuntu run poorly or is Ubuntu or perhaps Xubuntu better suited for my machine?

Cheers.

Leo.

oaxacamatt1
December 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Hey 300Z
If your CPU monitor pegs out at 100% after just opening a single prog maybe you might have picked another distro(??). I do happen to know that on two of my machines which sound pretty similar to yours (except I have 2 gigs ram) KDE runs pretty slowly too. I might suggest a couple things.
1. If you have time to fart around keep KUbunut and read up on how to optimize it. Maybe turn off the Compiz special effects, etc, etc. There are other ways too.
2. If you just can't stand KDE then try Ubuntu or XUbuntu. On my machines regular Ubuntu works very nicely. But realize that some programs even in Ubuntu, like Open Office, work slowly (period). Gimp is another one that is huge and slow to start. If you stay away from those you should be all right.
Another point about Xubuntu is that it has a smaller footprint on your HD. It uses smaller (read: faster) progs which can get the job done but still let you experiment with Linux. It all depends what you want...

Take your pick.

Hope that helps,
Matt

300Z
December 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I really like the way Kubuntu looks and would prefer to keep instead of going with another distro.

I already have Compiz turned off and never really use Open Office.
I mostly use a media player, Firefox and Ktorrent... and occasionally a picture viewer prog.
But the CPU max out even when opening just about anything... :(

I guess at this point I'm mostly wondering if I chose the wrong Ubuntu distro for my machine...

Thanks.

Leo

Captain_tux
December 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
The truth is that for today's Ubuntus, 512MB of RAM just isn't going to cut it... Xubuntu would perform better.

Have you considered a lightweight distro like Puppy or DSL?

Also, RAM is much cheaper these days... you can buy another 512MB or even 1GB pretty cheap.

Good luck!

300Z
December 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I did try both Puppy and DSL + bunch of other distros but liked Kubuntu better. :)

I'll just have to buy more RAM I guess...

Thanks.

oldos2er
December 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
A good KDE distro with lighter system requirements than (K)Ubuntu is Vector Linux SOHO.

300Z
December 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'll look into it, thanks.

josedb
December 18th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Ctrl + Alt + Right key :lolflag:

300Z
December 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ctrl + Alt + Right key :lolflag:

What does the mean? :confused:

Izek
December 19th, 2008, 12:35 AM
What does the mean? :confused:

The user was trying to make a joke, since CRTL+ALT+Right Arrow causes the desktop to switch to the right workspace.

300Z
December 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Got it... silly me, sorry I'm still a noob at this. I only got one desktop workspace btw.

300Z
May 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Upgraded the ram to 2GB, added a new video card and running Ubuntu 8.10 and Studio 9.04 things got considerably better but the CPU still still pegs at 100% occasionally (actually more often than I'd like) but it runs much better now.

hictio
May 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Upgraded the ram to 2GB, added a new video card and running Ubuntu 8.10 and Studio 9.04 things got considerably better but the CPU still still pegs at 100% occasionally (actually more often than I'd like) but it runs much better now.

Next time the CPU hogs the system down, goto:

System > Administration > System Monitor

Choose the Processes tab, and click on 'CPU' to sort the processes by CPU usage, you'll get an idea which one is turning the box down.

Besides, the System Monitor looks rather cool :D :

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2320/systemmonitor.th.png
(http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2320/systemmonitor.png)

300Z
May 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I do it all the time and for the part most programs can peg the CPU...