PDA

View Full Version : Need help preparing to tutor someone on using a computer (absolute basics)

diablo75
December 18th, 2008, 02:09 AM
So I got a call from a retired gentleman who, from the sounds of it, was just recently given a new computer (with Windows Vista on it). He got my name somehow and would like me to tutor him on how to use a computer (from the very basics). Something he has placed emphasis on every time we speak is his desire to be given homework; something he can study on his own and/or assignments I can give to him to work on in between visits. Being the lazy person that I am, I was wondering if anyone knows of some good very-beginner types of... say... multiple question tests that I could give him, and perhaps reading material to support it. I'd be willing to write it all myself, but I like taking shortcuts when it comes to things like this. Links to pre-written material I can print off would be awesome, but I'll write everything up if it comes to it. Perhaps (as an exercise) I'll tell him to send his work to me via email (because he's probably never done that before).

Another thing I've been wondering about... is whether or not I should even mention Linux to him. I have had very bad luck with suggesting this to people who are over the age of 40. They are often excited by the sounds of things, but then turn out to be that group of people who have invested too much time in learning Windows to give it up. An FAQ (in the tutorial forum) suggested that the best types of people to show Linux to are either those who love tinkering with their PC (like most of us in here) and those who know little to nothing at all (like the person I'm going to be meeting soon).

MaxIBoy
December 18th, 2008, 02:23 AM
You need to ask him the tough question, "do you want to learn how to push a series of buttons in order, or do you want to know how to use a computer?"

jimi_hendrix
December 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
you need to ask him the tough question, "do you want to learn now to push a series of buttons in order, or do you want to know how to use a computer?"

+1

zmjjmz
December 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM
you need to ask him the tough question, "do you want to learn now to push a series of buttons in order, or do you want to know how to use a computer?"

+1

cdtech
December 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Make it fun for him. Find out if he has family he would like to communicate with via email or chat. Get him involved with a typing class (installed software on the computer). For beginning basics, opening applications such as picture organization software as well as using peripherals such as a camera, mp3 player. This could really be fun....

He wants to learn but as with me I want to play as I go.

Good luck...........

cdtech
December 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM
You need to ask him the tough question, "do you want to learn now to push a series of buttons in order, or do you want to know how to use a computer?"

I don't understand what you mean "learn now to push a series of buttons" or was that a typo?

MaxIBoy
December 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Whoops, I'll correct that.

I'd like to add that either choice is completely valid.

cdtech
December 18th, 2008, 03:42 AM
ok,,lol

magmon
December 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM
You need to ask him the tough question, "do you want to learn how to push a series of buttons in order, or do you want to know how to use a computer?"

You get exactly one internets

Show him ubuntu, bring a disk and boot from it, see what he thinks.

handy
December 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I found in the past that it is really, really important to have the person sitting at the computer doing what ever you tell them to do with their own hands.

If they get to use the mouse & the keyboard they are engaging more parts of their brain, they are working at their speed, & they have a much better chance of remembering something, because they physically had a connection to the doing of it.

Some point form steps on starting up, shutting down, going on the internet, using bookmarks & saving bookmarks etc, can be really helpful for when they are on their own, it will relieve anxiety for those that are prone to that type of thing.

Don't try to teach them too much at a time, or they will associate computers & stress, instead of computers & fun, stimulation, multifaceted education.

Lostincyberspace
December 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Teach them how to use ubuntu if they don't know what windows is then they won't know the difference.

Ms_Angel_D
December 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Teach them how to use ubuntu if they don't know what windows is then they won't know the difference.

I was thinking that same thing. It seems to me if a person hasn't had any experience with either than They could easily be taught Ubuntu and adjust to it easily.

TreeFinger
December 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
typing is definitely the most important thing. see what his WPM is.. and if it is low, start him out with that. other than that.. tell him to look around. i would make sure he is not logged on as administrator... after he has it for a week ask him what he would like to know more about.

oedipuss
December 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
other than that.. tell him to look around. i would make sure he is not logged on as administrator... after he has it for a week ask him what he would like to know more about.

+1
That's the most important thing.
If he comes to depend on your assistance for anything, it won't help him very much.

vikigal
December 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Another thing I've been wondering about... is whether or not I should even mention Linux to him. I have had very bad luck with suggesting this to people who are over the age of 40. They are often excited by the sounds of things, but then turn out to be that group of people who have invested too much time in learning Windows to give it up.

I have to pick about the age comment. I started learning computers at 48 and moved to linux ubuntu last year at age 52. My aunt received her first computer last year at age 74. Age has nothing to do with it. The desire to learn is the only thing that matters.

I agree that introducing him to Linux right off the bat would be right, before he invests any time in learning windows (especially since new windows dont always work right anyway). Show him a live cd and let him play. Most of us over 40 do not like to be ask repeatedly about things and I believe he will find windows annoying if he has ever seen linux in action.

laurielegit
December 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM

If pushing a series of buttons in order is what he needs to do to use the computer then that's what he should do. It isn't a bad thing, it's just what he might need the computer for. Theoretically, if he know how to use a computer then he should be able to find out most other things. I would keep vista on there, so that he can begin using the computer immediately. Also, if you (the tutor) are ever away, and he has to call a support desk or something. they are almost certain not to give detailed help for ubuntu. From the sound of it, this person is going to want the computer for browsing the net, word prossesing and writing emails. You could use open source software to do this, and I suggest you encourage him to use firefox, openoffice and thunderbird, but don't uninstall IE and MS Office. Open source is about choice, and that choice includes Microsoft. Also, he has paid for MS vista and will want that. If I bought Vista, I would want Vista on my computer. You can't just tell him that you are wiping $200+ worth of software off his drive. And I doubt that he will want to dual boot.

As for actualy tutoring this person, I would make sure that you hardly touch the computer, and that they are in contact with it for all of the "lesson". As for what to do each lesson, something like this:
1. Keyboard, Mouse, logging in and Opening Programs
Just get the person used to the computer. Tell them why they need to login. Ma bey introduce some concepts of safety and security. You could get them to open OpenOffice and start typing. As for homework, you can get lots of good typing tutors.
2. Connecting to the Internet(If relevant), Browsing the web, Web security.
They should be able to type slowly by now. Don't rush them and make sure you keep the jargon out and explain everything. Show them some popular websites (Google, Wikipedia, local newspaper?) Homework: Search google for different topics and put them into a document (Teach them copy and paste)

and so on and so on. Keep the lessons based around him, and his needs. Remember, the lessons aren't for you, they are for him.

Good luck,

Laurie

oedipuss
December 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM

If pushing a series of buttons in order is what he needs to do to use the computer then that's what he should do. It isn't a bad thing, it's just what he might need the computer for.

Why -1?
It's a legitimate question that would lead to two completely different types of tutoring.

MaxIBoy
December 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Whoops, I'll correct that.

I'd like to add that either choice is completely valid.

I should have included that with the first post, but it was there. Absolutely, it's okay to learn how to push buttons in sequence. However, people who only know how to do that should bear NO illusions that they actually know what they are doing.

oldos2er
December 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
"Another thing I've been wondering about... is whether or not I should even mention Linux to him. I have had very bad luck with suggesting this to people who are over the age of 40. They are often excited by the sounds of things, but then turn out to be that group of people who have invested too much time in learning Windows to give it up."

If he's never really used computers before, then he has nothing to unlearn, right? I would definitely start him on Linux.

Btw, I am significantly over 40, and I never had any bad habits to unlearn....

Maethoriel
December 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
If he's never used a computer, either Linux or Windows is fine, I would think. Unless he already has Windows installed and just wants to learn to use it. Then, you could bring in a LiveCD later and show him Ubuntu too! :grin:

Are you going to have an opportunity to tutor him in person, or will it be by e-mail or something similar? If you're there in person, make sure he's the one sitting at the computer typing and using the mouse. In my experience trying to show people how to do things on a computer, they don't learn unless they do it themselves.

If you're not there in person, maybe you could use some kind of screen recorder to show him the lessons (of course, you'd have to explain how to play the video first ;)) so that if he gets confused, he can SEE what you're doing instead of just "Choose this option from this menu". Or, screenshots would work too if you don't want to make a tutorial video. I'm a really visual learner myself, and having pictures definitely helps.

Try to find out what he wants to do with the computer. Does he want to use it to e-mail friends and family? Surf the internet? Listen to music? Watch videos? Have him list some goals, giving him a little direction if needed (I've missed out on a lot of cool Ubuntu stuff simply by not realizing it existed), then structure your lessons around those goals.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

diablo75
December 19th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I think I'm going to have a lot of fun showing Ubuntu to him.

diablo75
January 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Well... turns out the person I went to visit has a criminal record. He lives between hospitals, has a history of random acts of violence and has had charges dismissed before due to incompetence. I don't really feel much like paying him any further visits after his recent temporary relocation to the VA hospital for "acting homicidal". Yikes!

Oh... And for some reason the Live CD kicked me to a busybox prompt. SOB!

helliewm
January 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have had very bad luck with suggesting this to people who are over the age of 40. T

What a flaming check lol:D I am 42 and started using Ubuntu/Linux 3 years ago. I love it I have not used Windows since I am 100% Ubuntu. I went completely cold turkey I was horrifed about WGA and Vista. I completely screwed up XP trying to remove WGA.I bought Linux Format magazine from W H Smiths and SUSE SLED was disc of the month. I could solid distro to start off with. Not that I realised that at the time. I ended up with Ubuntu. I have used Fedora, Vector Linux, Opensuse, Mandriva, Puppy, Debian and Sabynon. I ended up staying with Ubuntu. See my signature all my volunteers for my organisation use Ubuntu too, not that I give them a choice lol:D. They are all over 40! In contrast my 18 year nephew who is doing A levels one of which is IT can be bothered to learn Linux. Even though Arnie (Aunty) -me is constantly on his back about Ubuntu/Linux .

It all depends on the person it has not got a lot to do with age in my experience.

Helen

Ps I also met BigKen from the Ubuntu forums, he lives down the road from me. He does all my hardware support for both me and my organisation (see my signature) and he built my Quad Core Desktop for me so it is Ubuntu friendly:D I have even made real live friends through Ubuntu too.

mips
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
http://blogs.technet.com/john_westworth/archive/2007/09/16/end-user-training-guides.aspx
http://www.learnthat.com/
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-GB/winbasics.mspx

CrazyG
January 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
What a flaming check lol:D I am 42 and started using Ubuntu/Linux 3 years ago. I love it I have not used Windows since I am 100% Ubuntu. I went completely cold turkey I was horrifed about WGA and Vista.

I was 44 (almost 45!) when I started using Ubuntu. I also went completely cold turkey, and WGA was also one of the things that bothered me. I had used computers for 6 years at that point, but knew nothing about how they worked. If I had any problems I would call the family computer guru. I have learned a number of things since I started with Dapper, particularly since my family guru has never used Linux and I am on my own here, but find that time, not my age, is what is holding me back from learning more. In spite of my lack of knowledge, I love Ubuntu and will never return to Windows.

:D