PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia ION - great HTPC solution?

dixon
December 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Nvidia has introduced new ION platform (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3478). I think it can be good platform for very silent and green HTPC. Can't wait to see first products based on this platform.

JohnFH
December 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
It does look very interesting! It looks perfect for HTPC except no DVD drive, although some people may not be bothered about that. However what lets it down is the price.

teet
December 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Interesting. I guess the RAM is just soldered on?

I'm a big fan of mythtv, but I've never been able to find a CHEAP, small frontend solution. This thing has a lot of potential. If they would make a version with S-video/composite/HDMI out and regular RCA audio out it would make the perfect frontend.

-teet

Edit: $350! Screw that. I'll just keep using the old P4 I found in the trash as my frontend.

dixon
December 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Where did you get the price 350$ from? I saw the price 350$ for the whole Asus EEE pc(based on Ion platform) or how is it called. Just the board (CPU + GPU) should be much cheaper. It should be around the price of todays Atom with I945 chipset + 50$. I expect very low price(as the target is netbook market). Well we'll see in first quarter 2009.

EDIT: The small box is just demonstration what's the platform capable of. There will be lot of products with different ports, prices etc..

teet
December 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Where did you get the price 350$ from? I saw the price 350$ for the whole Asus EEE pc(based on Ion platform) or how is it called. Just the board (CPU + GPU) should be much cheaper. It should be around the price of todays Atom with I945 chipset + 50$. I expect very low price(as the target is netbook market). Well we'll see in first quarter 2009.

EDIT: The small box is just demonstration what's the platform capable of. There will be lot of products with different ports, prices etc..

My bad. Didn't read close enough.

-teet