PDA

View Full Version : Income Tax Programs for Linux?

snooze
December 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Sorry to even mention 'taxes':mad: , but I usually use QuickTax
(Canadian eh). They don't support Linux.

There are no Richmond puters in our house.

I'd hate to install windows for a one time use.

Anybody try it under wine?

A native Linux proggy would be much better though.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

giloth
December 10th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I usually do my taxes online through Turbotax Online. It's not free, but it's nice because they deduct the fee from your refund automatically.

http://www.turbotax.com

ember
December 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM
There is tax software from Buhl Data, but it is intended for Germany. Also it runs only with Wine - maybe you can contact them and ask if they offer software for foreign tax systems also.
http://onlineshop.buhl.de/buhl?art=220

Best,
ember

az
December 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I used Ufile (online) last year from Ubuntu without a problem.

I do not think I needed to use the UserAgent Switcher which makes the server thing you are running a different os. I think it just worked.

Stereotypical Rage
December 10th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I used an online tax program last year from Linux (USA, sorry). Seems to be the best route. Rumor has it that TurboTax was going to support us.

snooze
December 10th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks friends for the suggestions and quick response.

This truly is a community.:)

az
December 10th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Here is the requirements page. The pdf problem is not a problem.

jdong
December 10th, 2005, 02:33 AM
is Azz not keeping up to date with security patches? ;)

snooze
December 10th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Thanks azz.
Looks like that will work.
(didn't pass the adobe though...evince? works for me).

Thanks again azz :)

jdong
December 10th, 2005, 02:40 AM
If you _really_ want to pass the test for the heck of it, install acroread (from Multiverse) and I think it'll probably be happy.

However, as far as PDF readers, I _HATE_ the official Adobe Acrobat Reader and will never use it unless evince is unable to work with it.

az
December 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks azz.
Looks like that will work.
(didn't pass the adobe though...evince? works for me).

Thanks again azz :)
No, it does not pass, but it is not a problem. The only thing the adobe version can do that free-libre versions cannot do is online forms. But this is not an issue with Ufile, since the pdf is only for printing your finished report.

Even with the red X, you can still proceed. Just like you can proceed in windows without installing Adobe. You can still save to hard drive the pdf.

In Ubuntu, it just opens in Evince.

(Yes, I am enough of a zealot to have sent them a message about this. No response yet.)

ssam
December 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
turbocash (http://www.turbocashuk.com/) was mentioned on lug radio (http://www.lugradio.org/) the other week. it has recently been open sourced, and they seemed interested in porting it to linux.

az
December 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
(Yes, I am enough of a zealot to have sent them a message about this. No response yet.)

I asked to display something different than a red X in the absence of acroread.

Quote:
"Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. I have forwarded your suggestion to our
programming department. I don't see why this cannot be done. Thanks again
for your help.

Regards,
Cyndie on behalf of the UFile Team
www.ufile.ca
"

skirkpatrick
December 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
TaxAct has been mentioned on the MoneyDance mailing list and I think I'll give it a try this year. They've got free, online preparation that you might want to check out. www.taxact.com

beeldings
January 12th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I'm in the United States and last year I was able to file my federal taxes on-line with H&R Block. No special software was needed, I used a plain vanilla Ubuntu installation and Firefox. However, when I tried to access my H&R Block account on-line this year, I was unable to do so. I contacted technical support and it appears as if Firefox and Linux are not supported by H&R Block. Needless to say I won't file my taxes with H&R Block this year. If you're business doesn't support Linux/Firefox/OSS then I won't support you.

EDIT: I installed User Agent Switcher extension and set the user agent to Internet Explorer, and voila, I can now use H&R Block again.

mjkey
January 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I just finished using taxactonline.com and it worked flawlessly, check it out.

briancurtin
January 29th, 2006, 01:45 AM
If you're business doesn't support Linux/Firefox/OSS then I won't support you.

EDIT: I installed User Agent Switcher extension and set the user agent to Internet Explorer, and voila, I can now use H&R Block again.
...but if their web application can be fooled, its ok to contradict yourself?

i dont care what you do, im just saying its funny that you said what you said

aysiu
February 4th, 2006, 07:45 AM
It wouldn't let me eFile because of some stupid alert (that was wrong--saying I didn't fill out some box I actually did fill out), but it seemed fine otherwise. It did all the calculations for me, and filled out all the boxes. TaxAct is cool.

nalmeth
May 1st, 2006, 03:19 AM
All of these apps are for use with the IRS
Anyone know how I can do my income tax in Canada?

nalmeth
May 1st, 2006, 04:26 AM
Nevermind, for future reference, you can use Ufile for canadian taxes.

somuchfortheafter
May 1st, 2006, 04:33 AM
i am more of a fan of dumping my stuff at a cpa's office and then just picking it up the next day, i have better things to do with my time like work to earn more money.

steven8
January 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
That works with a Linux system. That would be my kicker to going linux all-out. Turbo Tax requires Windows and IE, and that is where my wife has been doing our taxes for the last several years. I have searched the net, but came up empty-handed. Does anyone hear know of a site?

Ryba
January 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
That works with a Linux system. That would be my kicker to going linux all-out. Turbo Tax requires Windows and IE, and that is where my wife has been doing our taxes for the last several years. I have searched the net, but came up empty-handed. Does anyone hear know of a site?
Um unless turbo tax changed something up just this year, I have been using Turbo Tax Online for the past 6 years under linux with no problems at all.

Just checked and it still seems to work for me.

http://probusiness.com/turbotax/

skirkpatrick
January 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I did my taxes last year at www.taxact.com and was very happy with it.

Hershey
January 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Did mine yesterday on HRBlock.com. It complained that it didn't support my OS/Browser combo, but I didn't have any issues.

mcduck
January 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I feel sorry for you guys :D

The tax office just sends me a paper once a year, then I check if everything is fine and file the paper somewhere.. If there's something I want to change I make the changes, mail the paper back and get a new corrected one in mail.

steven8
January 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Um unless turbo tax changed something up just this year, I have been using Turbo Tax Online for the past 6 years under linux with no problems at all.

Just checked and it still seems to work for me.

When we logged in it came up with the 'Compatibilty Check', and froze right or said we didn't have a compatible system and wouldn't let us continue.

Did mine yesterday on HRBlock.com. It complained that it didn't support my OS/Browser combo, but I didn't have any issues.

Which browser were you running? I like Kubuntu, and tried Firefox as well as Konqueror.

It couldn't be because the return was started under windows, then I tried to finish it under Linux, could it?

wesley_of_course
January 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
wesley here ;

www.taxslayer.com ?

steven8
January 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks Wesley. I believe this is our ticket!!

skirkpatrick
January 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Check www.taxact.com, it's free for the basic service.

Hershey
January 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM
Which browser were you running? I like Kubuntu, and tried Firefox as well as Konqueror.

It couldn't be because the return was started under windows, then I tried to finish it under Linux, could it?

I'm running FireFox 2.0. I have flash and java plugins installed, don't know if it needs them or not. I don't think it should matter what OS it was started on.

steven8
January 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
Well ,we did it at taxact.com. Thank you, mister Kirkpatrick. We did it in Windows, and it went very smoothly. They are a good site.

MetalMusicAddict
January 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Wow. I guess my wife was right. We've used TurboTax for the last couple of years. Time to write them a letter about this.

skirkpatrick
January 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I was very happy with taxact.com last year. Did it with Linux and Firefox.

steven8
January 26th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Wow. I guess my wife was right. We've used TurboTax for the last couple of years. Time to write them a letter about this.

You mean it wouldn't work this year for you either? Those SOBs.

Yeah, I was very happy with taxact.com last year. Did it with Linux and Firefox.

This is more of the ammo I will use trying to get my wife to let me go total Linux. Thanks!!

buzzmandt
February 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Kinda late on this but taxact.com downloadable exe version works flawlessly in wine

Toadmund
March 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well canucks, look what I found:
http://ufile.ca/Help/FAQ_tech.asp#11
I'll have to check it out further.

What are the system requirements for UFile?
All you require is one of the following supported browsers for your operating system:

Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x or higher
Firefox
Netscape 6.x or higher
Mozilla 1.x or higher

Mac OS 8-9, or Mac OS X
Safari 3.0.3 or lower
Firefox
Camino
Netscape 6.x or higher
Mozilla 1.x or higher

Linux
Mozilla 1.x or higher
Netscape 6.x or higher

Mr. Picklesworth
March 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Even more nicely from them:
Can I use UFile if I have a Mac or Linux?
Absolutely! UFile supports the Mac and Linux operating systems running browsers based on the latest Mozilla rendering engine. See www.mozilla.org for more information.

To learn more about UFile's system requirements, click here.

Note: UFile has not been fully tested on all versions of Mac and Linux operating systems. We cannot guarantee UFile will be compatible with all platforms and their respective browsers. Gee, I almost want to use their service now just because they tested with Linux! :b

Getting less and less tempting to simply save money and do it by hand.
It would be pretty amazing to have an open source Canadian tax solution, though. (Maybe scriptable to suit any country). The noise generated by such a thing could be incredible.

It's also getting more and more tempting to move to Finland. Does that country do anything wrong?

tpischke
March 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Just tried to do my taxes with TurboTax online as I have the past two years with Ubuntu/Firefox. This year they would not even allow me to begin, saying Windows or Mac is required. Chatted with a representative who confirmed 'issues with linux'. Will look into switching to taxact or ufile based on recommendations here.

robertj20112
September 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Kinda late on this but taxact.com downloadable exe version works flawlessly in wine

I just recently converted to Ubuntu and love it! Tax software is perhaps the only remaining stumbling block. Just downloaded TaxAct and installed it with Wine 1.1.5 in Ubuntu. Only problem I have (and it's a biggie!) is that all the text in the TaxAct window is symbols, not letters! The text in the menu bar, the menus themselves, the words in the window borders are all OK. It's the text in the interior of the windows that is indecipherable. Any idea how to correct this? What version of wine did you use back in Feb 08 when it worked for you? Would really appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Found out that the problem revolved around the installed fonts. Went to Add/Remove applications, searched on "fonts", and installed the "Ubuntu restricted extras" package. Restarted TaxAct, and it worked! Hope this info helps someone else with the same or similar problem.

timcredible
September 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
why use wine? just go to their website and do all your taxes there with firefox.

william456
October 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Hi,
I am newly join in your site.The Online service is very good and Moralizes.My Hope is stated one of the Online site.That mostly uses is Eran Money In simple ways.And I hope I can help in the testing in the money of Online.

================================================== =================

william

http://www.epicwealthsystems.com/index.php?id=griff

psychomichael
January 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
yeah, Taxact.com is awesome

reedness
January 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM
Ya, it looks like I'm not the only one who discovered this. I tried to use Turbo Tax, and it was hinting that I need ******* or Mac, and just kept sending me back to square one.

Then I tried HR Block, and they said that their crap is recommended for use on *******, but all I had to do was tell it to continue anyway and I just now successfully e-filed my return with them.

:D

jeffreyldavidson
January 21st, 2009, 01:46 AM
I have used both Tax Cut and Turbo Tax online and haven't had a problem with either. This year I am using Tax Act because it is on 10.00 and includes efile and I do itemize all my deductions.

psychomichael
January 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Then I tried HR Block, and they said that their crap is recommended for use on *******...

be careful...I've had many friends and acquaintances have serious issues with H&R Block. Their "guarantees" are pricey for what Taxact gives for free.

whit
March 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
This year I am using Tax Act because it is on 10.00 and includes efile and I do itemize all my deductions.Last year I used Tax Act under Wine. The only problem aside from some checkboxes not showing the X's correctly onscreen (although the forms came out fine) was they had a calculation wrong regarding Vermont state taxes. They honored their guarantee and covered the penalty from the state promptly and efficiently. Good company.

I do like to run something locally rather than in a browser. Even if I e-file - which means the final data gets copied to the prep software firm's systems at that point - the raw data stays here too, and the drafts and what-ifs are never on someone else's systems.

I'll be trying it again this year. Some references:

Extra wine setup suggestions:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15234&iTestingId=36825

Upgrading to a more-recent wine that the Ubuntu default:
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

Using winetricks to install those extra wine features to support the e-file and help parts of Tax act:
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

The downloadable versions of TaxAct:
http://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/

sydbat
March 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
For Canadians (like the OP), Ufile and Quicktax can be used online with no problem at all. Just did our returns with Ufile online. Their FAQ even state Linux compatibility for online use.

And NEVER go with H&R Block. If they screw up (and they will), they might refund what you paid for their services, but you have to deal with CRA (IRS in the US) for their screw-ups!.

Captain_tux
April 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I just used TurboTax (with Firefox 3 and NoScripts 1.9) and had no problems at all... :guitar:

gofishel
April 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Last year I used Taxact (download edition)under wine and was able to E-file only after running the command "modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp"
This year even after running this command I can't E-file, the program freezes on "secure connection 1"
Any help would be appreciated as I need to file my taxes :)

uc50_ic4more
April 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
+1 here for Ufile.

I had spent some time each year for the last few years trying to find something that could be used by Ubuntu, but I've come to realize that there is so much that changes in Big Brother's tax codes every year that it takes an army of accountants and lawyers to keep up with it enough to issue a proper, up to date software product. This puts any F/LOSS project aimed at providing users with a workable project at a severe disadvantage. Add to the mix that Big Brother, at least in Canada, only accepts filings from very specific corporate commercial tax software, and you're left with web applications like Ufile and QuickTax.

dspari1
April 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think it's a security risk to do your taxes online , so I prefer to just buy the software. Hopefully, there will be a Linux version of H&R Taxcut one day.

uc50_ic4more
April 4th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think it's a security risk to do your taxes online ,

That's why so many of the sites where you can do your taxes online demand that you use IE! :lolflag:

gofishel
April 5th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Well I gave up :( had to use windows to efile in Taxact

whit
April 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Well I gave up :( had to use windows to efile in Taxact
The report here -

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15234&iTestingId=36825

- is that wininet (installed via winetricks) is necessary to file online. Haven't tested yet.

HermanAB
April 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have a Windows XP virtual machine on VMware that I start up once a year to do my taxes. It is just not worth breaking my head over something I use for two hours per year.

whit
April 18th, 2009, 02:54 AM
The report ... is that wininet (installed via winetricks) is necessary to file online. Haven't tested yet.My experience with that was a no go. With wininet installed TaxAct would barely start - long stalls throughout it's operation - and still couldn't complete e-filing. Had to print out. (Last year's version e-filed fine with nothing extra installed.)

In other news, TaxAct had a serious error in one of the calculations on the Vermont state form. I questioned them. They claimed it was no error. I called the state. It was an error. I went back to TaxAct. They said they knew what the form instructions meant better than the state tax department, who they refused to even contact about straightening it out. It's an error that can be overridden if you know about it. But if you don't, it will result in higher taxes.

Two years ago TaxAct had a different error calculating the same field (Household Income, capital gains). In that case it off in the other direction, resulting in my having to pay penalties. TaxAct did honor their guarantee that time around though. Evidently it's cheaper for them to pay for their errors when caught, than to fix them in the software.

Confuzius
April 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Anyone had any experience with Ufile 2008 yet? I bought it out of habit rather than do the online one, I ended up just using my girlfriend's computer to do the 2007 one, will I have the same hassles this year?

gacb
July 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
+1 here for Ufile.

I had spent some time each year for the last few years trying to find something that could be used by Ubuntu, but I've come to realize that there is so much that changes in Big Brother's tax codes every year that it takes an army of accountants and lawyers to keep up with it enough to issue a proper, up to date software product. This puts any F/LOSS project aimed at providing users with a workable project at a severe disadvantage. Add to the mix that Big Brother, at least in Canada, only accepts filings from very specific corporate commercial tax software, and you're left with web applications like Ufile and QuickTax.

MyTaxExpress works very well in Wine. There are both Netfile and Efile versions. It also happens to be one of the least expensive at $7.00 for one return or $14 for 10 Netfiled returns, if you have other family and friends' to do.

nardis_Miles1
April 2nd, 2012, 01:56 AM
We are looking for a solution that imports data from, say gnucash, into either an online form, or a piece of locally running software. Am I dreaming?

Bandit
April 2nd, 2012, 02:21 AM
We are looking for a solution that imports data from, say gnucash, into either an online form, or a piece of locally running software. Am I dreaming?

The company I work for tailormade their own software suite with a mix of bash scripts, php and other to get away from tax and sales software like quick tax and quick books.

rbscycle
January 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I used "StudioTax" last couple of years. It's free. Done by some folks in Ottawa, Ontario eh.

I tried under wins and can't get it to install. Gives a popup box with ERROR - command error. This is under Ubuntu 12:10.

Don't care for M$. Would love to do everything under Linux and abolish M$.

rrnbtter
January 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Greetings,

I have a Windows XP virtual machine on VMware that I start up once a year to do my taxes. It is just not worth breaking my head over something I use for two hours per year.

+1

CP73
February 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Hi all, very new to Linux and was wondering about my tax program as well. Have never used the online service, always the program on my PC. That might have to change this year....

Has anyone here tried uFile in Wine? It apparently works.

rrnbtter
February 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Greetings,
I finally used Tax Cut in Virtualbox. I bought the download Premier version for $17.95 + 7.95 to E-file the State. Fed E-file came free. I already have received both refunds via direct deposit. This is the best I have ever done on Tax Refunds. I had access to my W2's and 1099's via internet so I was ready to file. Nothing has to be mailed in this year.
FYI