PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Plethora of problems after reinstalling.

Bulletbeast
December 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Okay, after not being able to find a fix for my problem for almost a week (and a bloody week it was), I reinstalled Intrepid. I currently have no mouse (I've edited xorg.conf into giving me at least the keyboard), no network or sound (or maybe they're just disabled, I have no mouse to click on their tray icons and see), and themes still don't work right, with gnome-appearance-manager freezing when changing themes, and them not looking right, anyway. Please, help me.

Bulletbeast
December 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Bump.

Bulletbeast
December 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Tried removing all input settings from xorg.conf and using .fdi files, with no success. Can anyone give me either a working xorg.conf or HAL .fdis for a generic keyboard and mouse?

tommcd
December 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
For the mouse, see this from the Intrepid release notes:

X.Org Input Devices.
The X.Org configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) still has InputDevice entries for the mouse
and keyboard, but they are ignored now because input-hotplug is used. The keyboard settings now come from
/etc/default/console-setup; to change them please use
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup.
After that, HAL and X need to be restarted (e.g., by rebooting your system).
Try that.

For the network, try running lspci -v | grep -i eth to list your ethernet card. Then run lsmod to see if the drivers are loaded, then run sudo ifconfig to see if eth0 is up. If all those check out ok, run sudo dhclient eth0. Also post your /etc/network/interfaces file.

For sound, work you way through this troubleshooting guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Is this a Wubi install or a real install?