PDA

View Full Version : Bored what kind of Ubuntu stuff can I get into

Ms_Angel_D
December 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM
So I'm a bit bored I have my Ubuntu set up the way I like it and with that all done, I just want to discover something new about it and/or my computer. Does anyone have any interesting websites or maybe some software to suggest checking out.

Thanks,
Angel

xjcannonx
December 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
gnome-look.org, compiz-fusion, cairo-dock, mythtv, shell scripting, make an address book in python, create your own avatar/icons, set up a quad-boot system with OSX(why you ask, No idea)

scourge
December 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM
So I'm a bit bored I have my Ubuntu set up the way I like it and with that all done, I just want to discover something new about it and/or my computer. Does anyone have any interesting websites or maybe some software to suggest checking out.

Thanks,
Angel

I suggest making a horrible mess of your system directories, randomly deleting and editing files, etc. Then you'll have plenty of interesting puzzles to solve and Ubuntu will be fun once again.

Okay, I've got nothing, sorry.

Ms_Angel_D
December 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I suggest making a horrible mess of your system directories, randomly deleting and editing files, etc. Then you'll have plenty of interesting puzzles to solve and Ubuntu will be fun once again.

Okay, I've got nothing, sorry.

lol & Meant fun things not that I wanted to screw stuff up :D

billgoldberg
December 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Install Virtual Box and install Arch linux on it.

You'll be set for a few hours.

mihai.ile
December 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
lol.. try jKiwi (www.jkiwi.com) and take a haircut or put on some lipstick :P

Maheriano
December 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Do what I'm doing this week:
1. Pair Wiimote for use as an infrared mouse.
2. Install emulators for NES, SNES, N64 and Playstation 2. Then get a USB game controller or Bluetooth PS3 controller and waste 10 hours a day playing old school games.
3. Set up your box to successfully act as a webserver and then secure it. Set up a simple site to stream your media from.
4. Set up MythTV and MythWEB to stream media remotely and locally.
5. Do a dual boot with Windows.

Maheriano
December 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Do what I'm doing this week:
1. Pair Wiimote for use as an infrared mouse.
2. Install emulators for NES, SNES, N64 and Playstation 2. Then get a USB game controller or Bluetooth PS3 controller and waste 10 hours a day playing old school games.
3. Set up your box to successfully act as a webserver and then secure it. Set up a simple site to stream your media from.
4. Set up MythTV and MythWEB to stream media remotely and locally.
5. Do a dual boot with Windows.

iKonaK
December 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
in terminal:
>fortune
>espeak "it's because they'r stupid, that's why, that's why everybody dose everything"
>md5sum *
>sha1sum *

hrod beraht
December 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Distrowatch recently had an article about lean custom Ubuntu installs (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20081215#feature)
Set up a server (for files and with Apache for web serving)

Bob

neu2buntu
December 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
install lmms and make some sweet music or perhaps make alive usb of backtrack 3 and crack your wep/wap key or someone elses.....or heres one that took me a long time to get,go to rebirthmuseum ,download and install rb338v20 (technosynths and drummachines) and try to mount the iso as a real cd......:guitar:

urukrama
December 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Install Openbox or another window manager and force yourself to stick with it until you have it configured the way you like.

jimi_hendrix
December 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM
knock a 10GB (10GB assuming you want to install some stuff...but you could always use less) partition off your hardrive and install arch...or do a virtual box...
or maybe a linux from scratch