PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious problems caused by installations.

Ciel
December 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
So I have Ubuntu successfully installed on my desktop, which was running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

...But I tried to install it on my laptop, which was running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. So I downloaded the Ubuntu package 64 bit edition, and mounted the iso to a virtual drive. I then chose the install inside windows option. But as I get it up it comes to the background of a typical newly installed linux machine, and starts asking me for my location, and user details etc. But when it's prepairing disk space it fails. So I hit quit thinking maybe I needed to wait to install the full version using a disk.

But it then takes me to the typical Linux Gui, allowing me to browse the internet and everything as if I just successfully installed Linux.

But I needed to use Vista at the moment, so I turned it off and on.

Next time I turn it on, a black screen comes after the bios that sais:
"No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

I cannot seem to find a way to boot it into either Vista or Ubuntu, thoroughly annoying me. So I figured I might have done something wrong and ruined the partition. But no, as I plop in my XP install disc to go reformat (Because I have an upgrade version of Windows Vista) it hits a Blue Screen of Death as it's trying to load Windows from the disc.

I now look to get the laptop back up and running, however seeing as I can't even reformat it I'm now confused as to where to go next.

oldos2er
December 17th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Did you try running the onboard diagnostics, or "setup" to see if it recognizes the hard disk?

Ciel
December 18th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Did you try running the onboard diagnostics, or "setup" to see if it recognizes the hard disk?

Yes. The hard disk is in fine condition. No physical changes came to the computer between the crash and installation.