PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CDROM integrity check fails on certain AMD based machines

phatchow
December 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I am having a problem installing from a DVD, but only from certain machines. We are installing Ubuntu 08.04 Server on a variety of machines. On certain AMD based machines the DVD fails the CDROM integrity check, or fails to mount. The same DVD installs properly on other AMD machines, and all Intel based machines. I have tried swapping drives between the Intel and AMD machines to see of it resolves this, and it still fails on the AMD machine.

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Is there a particular way to burn my DVDs so that they are more compatible? (I'm using a DVD because this is a custom distro with additional packages, and requires the extra storage.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

xjcannonx
December 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
well i have installed 8.10 server on several AMD's with no problems so I can't relate with your problem but make sure you are burning at the slowest speed and session at once(or disc at once) instead of track at once...well i dont know what you are using to burn but I have had success with either poweriso or roxio from an xp machine...I also have had a better ekperiennce mith dvd-r's as opposed to dvd-rw's.

phatchow
December 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks, I am trying this (slow speed burning). I'll let you know how it goes. I burn the iso's on an Ubuntu machine using growisofs, I do use DVD-R's.

phatchow
December 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM
bump.

keithmcc
December 19th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I have the same problem with ubuntu-8.10-desktop-1386.iso and an asus m2a-vm mobo.

The cd checks ok on an intel laptop and an older asus amd desktop board.

I have also swapped cdrom drives but the error is reported only on the m2a-vm.

IGNORE THIS - IT SEEMS MY RAM IS BAD.