PDA

View Full Version : What is your feeling about dapper?

ember
December 10th, 2005, 12:16 AM
O.k. I admit, it is Friday night, I am sitting at home with a glass of wine and I am bored, so I start another poll ;)

I recently thought about the different releases of Ubuntu. I noticed that after trying out warty, I had a very positive feeling about Hoary, which was confirmed (it is still running smoothly on my notebook), then a rather sceptical attiutude towards Breezy, which was again confirmed (it took me quite a while to set it up in a way that makes it as useful as Warty and Hoary were).
Yet again I have a very positive feeling about Dapper, maybe because there are a lot of important projects that complete before its release (OpenOffice 2.0 is out, Gaim 2.0 will probably be, Firefox 1.5 is and Thunderbird 1.5 will be in January, Inkscape is making progress, Gstreamer 0.10 is there, PHP/MYSQL reach reasonable maturity with version 5 etc.).

So what's your feeling about dapper? You may well state that you think it will eat your cat or something like that - I am just curious ;)

Best regards,
ember

curuxz
December 10th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I also am sat at my desk on friday night, my glass of wine was depressing me so in an effort to be cool i mixed it and made it into some kinda new cocktail.... :S

Anyways... Do we even get dapper, I mean I will be avoiding a total reinstall like the black death does it count if we just upgrade all our packages. If so then those apps your talking about I cant wait to have a look at improvments in Gaim and hope that thunderbird will take more steps closer to kontact and evolution. Apart from that im looking forward to a new wave of updates in general and i hope it will be more stable (esp under KDE) :)

ember
December 10th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Well - I guess, I will be reinstalling as I do this every release. It's not that I do not trust upgrading, but I usually combine this with a large backup and reorganize session so that all my data is a bit more ordered than at the end of a release cycle. So to speak the 3 years with dapper will cause me trouble ;)

Rackerz
December 10th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I think Dapper will be the best release yet, seeing how far they have gotten since Warty it's bound to be a good release with lots of fixes and lots of new stuff. I can't wait :D.

Lovechild
December 10th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I'm doing my part to make sure Dapper will rock, I help people file bugs and I ensure that no issue I stumble upon goes unreported (which also means I have like 10 open bugreports in the past 2 days alone).

raublekick
December 10th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I think it's going to be the best so far, maybe not the holy grail though :)

I'm really stoked for it because I keep hearing good things from the dudes who a running it now.

But, I had high hopes for Breezy because Hoary didn't work out too well for me. I just blindly thought that Breezy was going to be much better on the basis that it's a newer release, and new releases are always better (not always true, I know). I really didn't know what was beign changed, I just had that feeling. Breezy is good, but it's got it's issues, it is much better than Hoary for me though.

With all the new stuff that Dapper will have, I have faith that it will rock our collective socks.

ssam
December 10th, 2005, 01:40 AM
i put "dapper drake is the holy grail, it will solve all our problems and bring peace to everyone", although i think its a bit strong.

when i see "version X of Y" is the best ever, i always laugh to myself. would mozilla release firefox 1.5 if they thought it was a step backwards?

dapper should be a good release.
the xorg, firefox, openoffice, thunderbird and kernel have, or will shortly have big releases. there a few months to make sure they are stable.

gcc 4, is more widely supported (breezy has a few gcc3.4 bits). a move from gcc4 to gcc4.1 should be fairly smooth if its done.

gnome is getting a lot of performance love.

canonical have said dapper will have a long supported period. this is an important release. in more conventional version numbers
warty ~= 0.1
hoary ~= 0.2
breezy ~= 0.5
dapper = 1.0

the only risks are if they pull in some new versions late in the cycle (maybe gimp 2.4 or kernel 2.6.16) but i think they'll be careful

in conclusion i am excited.

majikstreet
December 10th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I dunno. lay off the wine. :P xD

Jormundgand
December 10th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I'm looking forward to Dapper being usable, but I'm dreading finally getting to that level and then being faced with the next plateau as Dapper becomes more and more "behind" in terms of what can be obtained by compiling, for which I have neither the knowledge nor the confidence. (It's NOT just as simple as "make, make install, install.)

ember
December 10th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I guess we can trust the backport team and the community to supply us with import new versions - anyway I used Warty for roughly a year and the older versions didn't bother me very much. It is sometimes very comforting to use older, but stable versions.
And from my point of view we are really close to something that can be called a completely useful and (at least intermediate) user friendly system.

Best,
ember

xequence
December 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM
It will be the biggest release yet. It will mean alot, in my opinion.

poofyhairguy
December 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I'm looking forward to Dapper being usable, but I'm dreading finally getting to that level and then being faced with the next plateau as Dapper becomes more and more "behind" in terms of what can be obtained by compiling, for which I have neither the knowledge nor the confidence.

Dapper will have more Universe packages than any other Ubuntu, so this should be less of a problem.