PDA

View Full Version : Is OSS really the "best"?

thomasgilling
December 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
We all say is FOSS or OSS the best but is it really? Ubuntu is a really successful FOSS project but there is open source projects that are not so good. People complain about Closed source software but is it really this horrible thing? I don't think so I think OSS and Closed software should live side by side neither one is better. And also I am fed up of people hating windows I see to much of it. Of course windows is not the best out there but is that a reason to hate Microsoft. They do a OS for the average consumer. Some people have a Hatred of Apple, I don't see why, they have accomplished what Open Source projects have been trying to accomplish for years making BSD into a Platform that everyone can use. Also Mac's are not too expensive you may get a better specced computer from Wal Mart (Joke). But when you see the components and how they are put together and how refined these products are you will change your mind. And also they are cheaper than computers from some places like Falcon Northwest.

billgoldberg
December 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
We all say is FOSS or OSS the best but is it really? Ubuntu is a really successful FOSS project but there is open source projects that are not so good. People complain about Closed source software but is it really this horrible thing? I don't think so I think OSS and Closed software should live side by side neither one is better. And also I am fed up of people hating windows I see to much of it. Of course windows is not the best out there but is that a reason to hate Microsoft. They do a OS for the average consumer. Some people have a Hatred of Apple, I don't see why, they have accomplished what Open Source projects have been trying to accomplish for years making BSD into a Platform that everyone can use. Also Mac's are not too expensive you may get a better specced computer from Wal Mart (Joke). But when you see the components and how they are put together and how refined these products are you will change your mind. And also they are cheaper than computers from some places like Falcon Northwest.

I prefer Open Source software.

All apps are man made. Some are great, other not that much.

thomasgilling
December 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I prefer Open Source software.

All apps are man made. Some are great, other not that much.

I find that most OSS app's die because of just being bad. And most closed app's die because of Money Issues. Maybe coding that's why windows is more popular because MS have good Money and are doing well. Well whatever I am happy with the Mac's and linux Machines I have now!

billgoldberg
December 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I find that most OSS app's die because of just being bad. And most closed app's die because of Money Issues. Maybe coding that's why windows is more popular because MS have good Money and are doing well. Well whatever I am happy with the Mac's and linux Machines I have now!

What does Windows, Linux or Mac have to do with this?

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I hate to say this, but you're just going to have to get used to it, or don't hang around here. Not everyone here is an MS hater, but the ones that are haters are vocal. I personally use Vista a lot, as well as having Ubuntu installed.

The Linux world is a FOSS world. It exists because of FOSS, so you're not going to talk anyone out of supporting it. That doesn't mean that proprietary software can't have its place, too. But if it weren't for Free Software extremists, FOSS wouldn't exist, therefore Linux wouldn't exist. You just can't completely take that out of the Linux community.

I somewhat agree with your sentiments, but you're fighting an impossible battle. You'll save yourself an ulcer or stroke if you just learn to accept that there are always going to be FOSS extremists who hate MS and proprietary software, but that not every Linux user is like that.

And remember that some Microsoft haters are that way because of a bad experience, and they'll calm down after they've had some time to heal. We just cycle through people on the forums at such large masses that there are always people fresh out of a bad experience.