PDA

View Full Version : gFTP dead?

ember
December 10th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Good evening everyone,

I just had a look on the gFTP Site, if there are any updates and noticed that the project seems to bet not active any longer. The last activity is in February 2005. Does anyone know if it will be continued?
The program is still very slow if you try to transfer a lot of (500+) files - and unfortunately Filezilla 3 is far from beeing stable.

Best,
ember

curuxz
December 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM
My copy (on all my computers) seems to quit for no reason when doing big uploads or deletes, this is a real pain. We need a good FTP app if anyone has any recomendations to stable fast one then I would love to hear em, maybe filezilla is our only choice

cwaldbieser
December 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM
My copy (on all my computers) seems to quit for no reason when doing big uploads or deletes, this is a real pain. We need a good FTP app if anyone has any recomendations to stable fast one then I would love to hear em, maybe filezilla is our only choice
Have you tried the command line ftp, or curl? How do they compare when doing big batches of uploads/downloads? What about from a browser (FF, Nautilus, Konqueror).

curuxz
December 10th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Tryed using the browser type ones, they are OK but slow. Dont like command line FTP my servers are big over many domains and at a text level i get lost :(

cwaldbieser
December 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Tryed using the browser type ones, they are OK but slow. Dont like command line FTP my servers are big over many domains and at a text level i get lost :(
Well, graphical FTP clients are something that the Internet is not in short supply of. It seems like you can't throw a rock without hitting one of those suckers!

Just doing a Google search on "ftp client Linux" turned up a ton of projects. Maybe one of those will be more like what you are looking for? I don't have any specific reccomendations myself, as I am satisfied with the 5+ clients that come installed on Ubuntu.

Confuse
December 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Has anyone been able to run FileZilla Linux in ubuntu? I've had no such luck in the past. If anyone has, I'd sure like some tips on how to get it working. Thanks.