PDA

View Full Version : New to scripting, got a working bash script, safe to deploy in Windows environ?

john_spiral
December 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I've got a working one liner script that gives me a directory listing on a remote Windows machine. I know it's not such :p.

I'm going to be running it against a few thousand machines from an Ubuntu box running 8.1. *Will it be safe*?

sample:

ping machine1 | grep 'Reply'; if [ $? == 0 ]; then find //machine1/c$/DOCUME~1 -maxdepth 1 -type d >> output.txt; fi;
ping machine2 | grep 'Reply'; if [ $? == 0 ]; then find //machine2/c$/DOCUME~1 -maxdepth 1 -type d >> output.txt; fi;

Once I've run this audit I intend copying *.lnk files from all the machines to the Ubuntu box. What tools should I look at for connecting to the Windows environment with specific credentials?

thanks in advance.

John

lykwydchykyn
December 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Does this actually work for you? I didn't think "find" would actually connect directly to a smb share like that. It doesn't work here for me.

I would think you'd want to use smbmount to mount the C$ share to a temp folder and then run your "find" command against the temp folder.

Also, does the "ping machine1|grep "Reply"" actually work? I don't see the text "reply" in any responses from ping (either good or bad). Also, without the -c switch ping on Linux will run forever.

Pvt_Ryan
December 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Reply shouldn't work.

if [ `ping $machine -c1 | grep -c -i "64 bytes from ${machine}"` -eq 0 ]; then
mount ...
find ...
umount ...
fi

Heres a script I have for pinging cluster nodes:
http://projects.ninet.org/index.php/Node_Availability

john_spiral
December 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Does this actually work for you? I didn't think "find" would actually connect directly to a smb share like that. It doesn't work here for me.

I would think you'd want to use smbmount to mount the C$ share to a temp folder and then run your "find" command against the temp folder.

Also, does the "ping machine1|grep "Reply"" actually work? I don't see the text "reply" in any responses from ping (either good or bad). Also, without the -c switch ping on Linux will run forever.

Hi, forgot to mention that I developed the above script in a cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) bash under Windows XP.

Guess I need to make some changes to make the script work under Ubuntu.

I intend running the script against 3000 machines, is a smbmount my only option.

Thanks

John

john_spiral
December 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Reply shouldn't work.

if [ `ping $machine -c1 | grep -c -i "64 bytes from ${machine}"` -eq 0 ]; then
mount ...
find ...
umount ...
fi

Heres a script I have for pinging cluster nodes:
http://projects.ninet.org/index.php/Node_Availability

see my above post, I would need to change the grep command with an Ubuntu ping reply.

Pvt_Ryan
December 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
My version is linux specific.

john_spiral
December 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for the code Pvt_Ryan,

Would the "64 bytes" always be true in your grep statement?

More info on my script

I was looking for a one liner command that I could plug into a spreadsheet column of computer names.

Pvt_Ryan
December 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
yes it is always true.

for a spreadsheet use a csv file.

then you could do something like:

machineName, MachineIP
dozer,192.168.2.1
dozer2,192.168.2.2
dozer3,192.168.2.3

i=0;
for $line in `cat spreadsheet.csv`;
do
ip=`echo $line | cut -f2 -d","`;
if [ $i -ne 0 ]; then
if [ `ping $ip -c1 | grep -c -i "64 bytes from ${ip}"` -eq 0 ]; then
else
echo "$ip could not be pinged" >> /var/log/mylogfile;
fi
fi
i=1;

i is used as the 1st line of the csv is headers.

Pvt_Ryan
December 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
just updated the script as i forgot to pull the ip from the file.

lykwydchykyn
December 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
The whole ping thing may not be necessary, if you smbmount. If smbmount fails, you can just skip the find command. e.g.:

smbmount //machine1/C$ ~/temp -o user=someuser,pass=somepass
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
find #etc etc
fi

You could also use smbclient to attach to the machines, but you wouldn't be able to use "find"; that approach would only work if you know the specific directory you want to list. To use "find", you'll need to mount the remote system locally, AFAIK.

mssever
December 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Why parse ping's output? Just use its exit code.
if ping -c1 -w2 somehost >/dev/null 2>&1; then
# do stuff
fi

john_spiral
January 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
thanks for all the input so far.

I finally settled on the below one liner:

smbmount //WINDOWSMACHINE/C$ /mnt/win sec=ntlmv2i -o user=USERNAME,pass=PASSWORD,ro; if [ $? == 0 ]; then cd /mnt/win/DOCUME~1; find . -maxdepth 1 -type d | sed "s#^.#$(pwd)#" >> /home/myusername/Desktop/dir_list.txt; cd /mnt; fi; smbumount /mnt/win/; sleep 1

Gives a directory listing for 'Documents and Settings' on machine 'WINDOWSMACHINE'.

Ideally it would be nice to extend the script to read a list of machines from a text file and then preform an action on the output of:
find . -maxdepth 1 -type d | sed "s#^.#$(pwd)#"

I had a go at Pvt_Ryan's csv script but I'm punching above my weight.

I've finally settled on compositing a script using Open Office Calc, pasting the final contents into a text file. Beautiful no, but it works.

Thanks again

John