PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install: Inspiron 1150

yskwong
December 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
i tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 to my Inspiron 1150 notebook, which has a disk with two partitions.* I use the first one 100MB for Windows XP.* The second partition 60MB is not formatted. After booting up from the install CD, I see a screen with the options of 1) Try Ubuntu wihtout any change to your computer, 2) Install Ubuntu, 3) Check CD for defects, 4) Test memory and 5) Boot from first hard disk. I tried out each of the first 4 options.* In each case, the CD and hard disk lights come on for 5-10 sec, then both lights go out, and nothing happens! I also* tried out the option to boot from first hard disk, and it works.* Windows XP was boot up. Can someone advise me how to get the installation of Ubuntu going?* Thank you.

Partyboi2
December 19th, 2008, 01:04 AM
If you downloaded the ubuntu iso did you check that the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) matched before burning at x4 or less?

wpshooter
December 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
How much RAM/memory does this computer have ? If this is an older computer then you may have to use the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu to do the installation. However, if the computer is REALLY old, it is possible that Ubuntu may not install at all. Have you checked to make sure that the computer has the proper specs. to install and run Ubuntu ?

Also, as the other poster said make sure that you burn the CD at 4x or less, if possible and do a sumcheck on the CD after burning.

Good luck.