PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] What is up?!

Cadeyrn
December 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Why is Ubuntu 8.xx's Update Manager so incompatible with computers that have ATI video cards??? And why is it worse for 8.10?

Virtually everyone with an ATI card on 8.xx who's recently ran the manager is reporting numerous problems. My computer is acting like Windows Vista, i.e. absolutely everything about the system is going wrong, tons of reliable fixes strangely don't work for me, and no one seems to know how to fix it and most just don't care. I'm being forced to reinstall, which will fix everything but one problem:

How am I supposed to update my system when I KNOW the Update Manager flashes the updates I need, doesn't install them, never says I need updates again, and then gradually screws up my entire system?

taurus
December 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Why not just run it from a terminal?

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

mikewhatever
December 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
How am I supposed to update my system when I KNOW the Update Manager flashes the updates I need, doesn't install them, never says I need updates again, and then gradually screws up my entire system?

Applications/Accessories/Terminal in the menu, type in

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.

Cadeyrn
December 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I'm sceeeeeeaaaarrrred (XD). Would it not cause the problems Update Manager has? Is it safe?

EDIT: Hey, I liked your signature. I just learned user-friendly means friendly-towards-what-you-want instead of easy-to-use.

Cadeyrn
December 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
UPDATE: It turns out my problem was never Update Manager. It was the Restricted ATI driver.