PDA

View Full Version : Viglen Selling X-Buntu on really small pc's for £99

Johnsie
December 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.viglen.co.uk/webmail/pdfs/MPC-l.pdf

grazed
December 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.viglen.co.uk/webmail/pdfs/MPC-l.pdf

you mean, they're selling really small pc's with xubuntu pre-installed?

you made it seem like they were just reselling xubuntu for money. =P

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
It looks like it wouldn't be useful for much. I think people that only need what that can provide would rather have a portable netbook. By the time you buy a monitor for this computer, it would be comparable in price to a netbook. But that's just my opinion.

grazed
December 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
i think they're targeted for kiosks, shops, point of sale, etc.. where a small form factor is desired. they're meant to be mounted from the back of a monitor.

i guess an alternative to "thin clients" and the such.

Paqman
December 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
It looks like it wouldn't be useful for much. I think people that only need what that can provide would rather have a portable netbook. By the time you buy a monitor for this computer, it would be comparable in price to a netbook. But that's just my opinion.

Why buy a monitor? Just plug it into your LCD TV, get a wireless keyboard and for under £100 you can surf and browse content off your home network from the sofa. Ok, it might not be able to play HD video, but it'd be good for music, browsing and documents.

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
i think they're targeted for kiosks, shops, point of sale, etc.. where a small form factor is desired. they're meant to be mounted from the back of a monitor.

i guess an alternative to "thin clients" and the such.You're right. I think kiosks are the main thing they could be useful for.

Why buy a monitor? Just plug it into your LCD TV, get a wireless keyboard and for under £100 you can surf and browse content off your home network from the sofa. Ok, it might not be able to play HD video, but it'd be good for music, browsing and documents.
True. But if it's hooked up to my TV, I don't really need it to be HD. When I need HD, I'll just use my TV setup.

And for the net, you'd have to either hard wire it, or buy USB wireless. So I guess it could be a glorified WebTV.

ajcham
December 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The link doesn't provide specs, but I've found these:

400Mhz AMD Geode processor
512MB DDR ram
40GB 4200rpm HD

Not for me thanks.

My system was also £99 (+VAT) and although I don't get the small form factor, I did get:
2800Mhz Intel Celeron
1GB DDR2 RAM
80GB 7200rpm HD
Excellent upgrade potential

Johnsie
December 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I dont think this system would be much good at all. If the hard disk was a little bigger it could be used as a file server. It would probably be better at running puppy Linux than xubuntu.

The last computer I bought was &60 on ebay (inc postage) and was 2.8gzh. Saying that, it wasn't anywhere near as portable. I hooked it up to my TV and am using it a a media centre. It runs Windows because Windows has more to choices to offer when it comes to watching TV online.

It would be very easy to throw one of those viglen things into a backpack or case, but that's what my eeepc is for.