PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] x system error?

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I am completely new to ubuntu and linux in general so please brace with me. I recently decided to install linux and have a dual boot system. So i procedeed to download Mandriva 2009 (the problem is really about ubuntu) but after creating a 5 gigabyte ext3 partition and a 1 gigabite swap partition ( i have 1 gigabyte of RAM) i installed it. but when i tried to boot to it, i would get a corrupted screen, in other words, a bunch of pink and yellows on top of a green background. i rebooted to it, and i pressed cntrl+alt+f1 and i found a command line, in witch i could log in to the account i had created. but i couldn't manage to get into a desktop view of mandriva. Not being able to deal with this problem, i formated the ext3 partition and the swap partition and i installed ubuntu 5.10 only to find it would lead to the same problem, minus the corrupted screen (the one with colors) after booting to ubuntu, i would get a command line, in witch i could log into ubuntu, but i couldn't get to a desktop. Also, before i got to the command line, i got an error about x system (GMD grafical interface) not being able to load. i am so sorry if i cannot express myself in a more advanced way, but i've been using windows my entire life, so i'm new to all this kinda stuff, so please brace with me.

cheers.

joff13
December 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi,

please help us understand more:

what pc ?
download and use ubuntu 8.04.1 Desktop edition

try to run the live CD and tell us whether it works or not
if not, edit the grub entry and add xforcevesa

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
The pc I'm trying to run ubuntu on is an HP Pavilion dv9008nr:
Processor:1.6 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Ram: 1gb DDR2
Video: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) [I think this might have something to do with the corrupted screen I got on mandriva]

Also, I kinda thought downloading another ubuntu would be a waste of time because since mandriva also gave me an error, I really doubted it was something having to do with ubuntu.. but then again, I don't know anything about linux, so if you recommend that, I'll get to it :)

thanks.

EDIT: I'm running the live cd of ubuntu 5.10 now, I'll post a response with the result in a bit.

joff13
December 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
EDIT: I'm running the live cd of ubuntu 5.10 now, I'll post a response with the result in a bit.

this is really old... I suggest 8.04.1 because there are 3 years of new technology... and, I know that you have a 64bit processor, but try with i386

again, try adding xfocevesa. $I think your problem is just a matter of setting in you xorg.conf file

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I tried running the live cd, and after loading everything, I got a black screen that lasted over 10 minutes, so I guess that didn't work either (unless its supposed to do that). About my older version, once I get this ubuntu to work I'll download a newer one, I just want to have this one working before I download a newer one, just so I know it won't give me the same response at ubuntu 5.10 and mandriva 2009..

also, sorry but I don't know anything about linux yet, but how would I go about doing this?

again, try adding xfocevesa. $I think your problem is just a matter of setting in you xorg.conf file

:-?

lovelyvik293
December 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
To add the "xfocevesa"

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And add "xfocevesa" in the end of ubuntu kernel you want to use.

joff13
December 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
also, sorry but I don't know anything about linux yet, but how would I go about doing this?

:-?

Sorry, by heart i do not remember exactly how the boot menu of the live CD is done, but press F1

usually you can edit a grub entry ba pressing "e" on the desired line

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
To add the "xfocevesa"

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And add "xfocevesa" in the end of ubuntu kernel you want to use.

Do I enter this in the command line once I get into ubuntu(the command line without the desktop), or is it another command line?
Sorry for the really nooby questions.

joff13
December 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Do I enter this in the command line once I get into ubuntu(the command line without the desktop), or is it another command line?
Sorry for the really nooby questions.

you cannot use this command

no x running
live CD

you have to give the instruction to grub at boot time as i explained

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
you cannot use this command

no x running
live CD

you have to give the instruction to grub at boot time as i explained

One last question before I try this, when I press e on the ubuntu kernel, i get four command lines, that I can choose to edit, delete, or create a new one, the last one being boot if I remember correctly, at the end of witch command line do I add "xfoceversa" to?

Sorry if theese questions are stupid, but I'm really new

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
So I added xfoceversa to the line in GRUB that started with "kernel" (I believe it was the second one). And I had the same problem, also, I managed to read the xsystem error diagnosis and it said:

Fatal Error:
no screens were found
(if I remember correctly)

I'm at the moment downloading ubuntu 8.04, in hopes it'll magicaly work(despite ubuntu 5.10 and mandriva 2009 not working).

but yeah, please tell me if I did the xfoceversa thing wrong.. or any other solutions you guys can come up with, and once again, sorry for being so new and not knowing anything :P

cheers.

joff13
December 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So I added xfoceversa to the line in GRUB that started with "kernel" (I believe it was the second one).

on the kernel one is correct

And I had the same problem, also, I managed to read the xsystem error diagnosis and it said:

Fatal Error:
no screens were found
(if I remember correctly)

It seems that it's unable to find your screen

I'm at the moment downloading ubuntu 8.04, in hopes it'll magicaly work(despite ubuntu 5.10 and mandriva 2009 not working).

but yeah, please tell me if I did the xfoceversa thing wrong.. or any other solutions you guys can come up with, and once again, sorry for being so new and not knowing anything :P

cheers.

good idea, but 8.04.1 not 8.04
actually there is 8.10 to, but I had some other problems, and also, 8.04.1 is the LTS one

good luck

Spitz13
December 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM
good idea, but 8.04.1 not 8.04
actually there is 8.10 to, but I had some other problems, and also, 8.04.1 is the LTS one

good luck

Well I downloaded ubuntu 8.04.1 and I ran it without change to my hard disc, it booted to it, but once again, right where my desktop should be, is just a bunch of flashing colors, this is the third version of linux this happens with.. I don't think its linux, maybee just something with my computer, but I really have no idea, maybee its not picking up my video card? I don't know, you guys tell me..

cheers.