PDA

View Full Version : Priorities of Linux distributors

Tim Sharitt
December 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Next year is sure to be another "Year of the Linux Desktop." However, a big problem I see is the decision of many of the major distributions keep their software "pure" by leaving out drivers and firmware which is available in binary-only formats. Normally, it isn't a legal question, as most of these closed source drivers are freely provided by the companies who make the hardware, but more an issue of principal to include only free software. This decision means that for many users, their wireless card, video card, or other hardware may not work out of the box. For an experienced user this isn't a problem but a novice may lack the skill or patience find and install the necessary software.
My question is, are the ideals of free software really more important than providing a complete package for all users? I tried Linux Mint a while back and was delighted to find that the firmware for my broadcomm wireless card was included right there on the live CD, and I didn't think any less of it because it included no free software.
I would very much like to hear the opinions of others from both sides of the subject.

billgoldberg
December 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Next year is sure to be another "Year of the Linux Desktop." However, a big problem I see is the decision of many of the major distributions keep their software "pure" by leaving out drivers and firmware which is available in binary-only formats. Normally, it isn't a legal question, as most of these closed source drivers are freely provided by the companies who make the hardware, but more an issue of principal to include only free software. This decision means that for many users, their wireless card, video card, or other hardware may not work out of the box. For an experienced user this isn't a problem but a novice may lack the skill or patience find and install the necessary software.
My question is, are the ideals of free software really more important than providing a complete package for all users? I tried Linux Mint a while back and was delighted to find that the firmware for my broadcomm wireless card was included right there on the live CD, and I didn't think any less of it because it included no free software.
I would very much like to hear the opinions of others from both sides of the subject.

Some distro's provide them, others dont.

I think it's good that some keep it pure.

If you are new and just want things to work, pick a distro that provides them.

If you care about open source, use a pure distro.

quinnten83
December 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think it's more the principal.
You want to guarantee that that which that goes into your software is pure, and you can't do that with propietary binary blobs.
That is how rootkits get installed.
I will install the propietary stuf, but now I am aware of the risks, and Ubuntu not responsible.