PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Extreme

abhiroopb
December 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I've posting quite a few how to's over the years in ubuntuforums. So, I decided to create my own blog and start adding them over there.

Please give me some suggestions on what I should add.

blog: http://ubuntuextreme.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

PartisanEntity
December 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

abhiroopb
December 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Sorry wasn't sure which would be the best thread for this so I put it in my standard one!

Sealbhach
December 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Please give me some suggestions on what I should add.

blog: http://ubuntuextreme.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

How to compile from source?

How to fix common Grub Error messages.

MikeTheC
December 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
How to defend yourself against a person with a pointed stick?

abhiroopb
December 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM

How to fix common Grub Error messages.

Thanks

Get a bigger stick

abhiroopb
December 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
But seriously please keep giving me suggestions as I really plan to add a lot of information to this blog.

Therion
December 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Get a bigger stick
Reversal, with a takedown... Two points!

Serious suggestion (seriously): How about a file manager Cage Match?

Pit Nautilus vs. Krusader vs. Dolphin vs. Thunar vs. Konqueror vs. PCFileMan vs. Rox vs. Gnome Commander in a no-holds-barred fight to the death!!!

gabhla
December 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Very nice blog! As a user for some years, the matters which gave me the most problems were....Grub (already mentioned), partitioning (distro hopping diasters), configuring my system for my printer to work (easy now, used be a nightmare), and getting media files to play (radio streams, for example). Also the always big complication for using flash and java and getting the plugins right in Opera and/or Firefox.

abhiroopb
December 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks! I want to keep it simple and essentially make it an extension of ubuntuforums for myself.

Grub - what problems exactly? I rarely had any issues. The only thing was after I installed Windows my Grub got wiped out. But this was easy to fix (will be adding this later)

Partitioning - good point, will include some information about this

Printers - i don't have one attached so unfortunately have no experience here!

radio streams - again no usage, but general media/flash/java have become easier, so much so that it takes a couple of terminal commands!

Will definitely add the posts.

Disreali
December 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Compiling from source is relatively easy if there are no dependencies. Resolving dependencies and THEN creating a .deb package are what i want to know.

Eisenwinter
December 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
How to save alsamixer settings, and load them on start up.

how to add fonts, how to add keyboard layouts, how to add/change your meta keys, how to convert video or audio files using ffmpeg.

Yownanymous
December 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM

I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me!:lolflag:

jenkinbr
December 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Grub - what problems exactly? I rarely had any issues. The only thing was after I installed Windows my Grub got wiped out. But this was easy to fix (will be adding this later)

Most likely errors 17, 18, 21, and 22 - I seem to see a lot about them...

Eisenwinter
December 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
how to configure openbox, how to use screen, how to configure and use compiz fusion || beryl.

how to help yourself (no, this isn't a joke):

I know a girl who uses Ubuntu, but does absolutely nothing on her own, and simply refuses to learn, and to touch the terminal, and etc.

A good friend of mine has an ssh account on her computer (they're both from an IRC channel I visit), and he's a CS student, with a great knowledge of computers, so he does things for her, instead of explaining her about commands, and what to do when this happens, and why it happens, and etc.

It sickens, and angers me.

jenkinbr
December 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
how to configure openbox, how to use screen, how to configure and use compiz fusion || beryl.

how to help yourself (no, this isn't a joke):

I know a girl who uses Ubuntu, but does absolutely nothing on her own, and simply refuses to learn, and to touch the terminal, and etc.

A good friend of mine has an ssh account on her computer (they're both from an IRC channel I visit), and he's a CS student, with a great knowledge of computers, so he does things for her, instead of explaining her about commands, and what to do when this happens, and why it happens, and etc.

+1 to the "How to help yourself" suggestion - not enough people take the proper steps in searching for answers (granted many don't know what to search for, but still...they could at least try...)

castrojo
December 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM

So?

Why should you get angry? The person is using Ubuntu .. expecting someone to learn a terminal to use their computer is kind of ridiculous.

Eisenwinter
December 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not saying it's an absolute must, but it pisses me off that she simply _refuses_ to do anything on her own.

is it so hard to google "how to <blah blah blah>"?

is it so hard to go on freenode #ubuntu and ask for some references?

is it so hard to ask on the ubuntu forums for some help?

that's what pisses me off.

EDIT:

I've even offered to help her a few times, told her what to do, and she said "uhh no... I'll wait for S, he'll fix it".

jenkinbr
December 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not saying it's an absolute must, but it pisses me off that she simply _refuses_ to do anything on her own.

is it so hard to google "how to <blah blah blah>"?

is it so hard to go on freenode #ubuntu and ask for some references?

is it so hard to ask on the ubuntu forums for some help?

that's what pisses me off.

EDIT:

I've even offered to help her a few times, told her what to do, and she said "uhh no... I'll wait for S, he'll fix it".
*wonders what would happen if the ssh client went down on her computer...*

abhiroopb
December 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Compiling from source is relatively easy if there are no dependencies. Resolving dependencies and THEN creating a .deb package are what i want to know.

Fair point, but its difficult to provide help unless their is a specific problem.

How to save alsamixer settings, and load them on start up.

how to add fonts, how to add keyboard layouts, how to add/change your meta keys, how to convert video or audio files using ffmpeg.

Not really sure about alsamixer (don't use it!), adding fonts is easy I can do that. What do you mean by keyboard layouts? US/UK? What do you you mean by meta keys? Convert video or audio files - I prefer avidemux. But shall provide guides for all of these in due time

Well I'm focussing on only problems I have come across and addressed. Unfortunately I haven't had these Grub errors so I'd rather not tackle them.

abhiroopb
December 19th, 2008, 02:03 AM
If anyone has any more tips on what I should add or how I can improve the site, please let me know. I'm a complete novice at blogs and web design. So, unless you are willing to help create a better template I don't think I'll be able to make it much better in terms of looks.

But after all its the content that counts :)

abhiroopb
December 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
made a few updates to the blog...please check it out and let me know what you think!

earthpigg
December 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
"how to google"

emphasis on key words to add in your search like "ubuntu intrepid whatevermyproblemishere"

;)

abhiroopb
December 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean.

earthpigg
December 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
as in... how to use google to solve your problems right away instead of immediately on the forum and asking for help and then having to wait for a response ;)

whatever problem John Doe User has, odds are a bunch of people have had the exact same problem before... using search engines, its not usually very hard to find threads and solutions that already exist on whatever the problem is.

abhiroopb
January 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM
I've changed the layout of the blog a little bit. Any more suggestions on what to add to the blog?