PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Freeze at install

Jarn
December 17th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Hi, I just download Kubuntu 8.10 and tried to run it. When I put the disc in, it loads up fine in that it gets to the first menu (install, load from disc, etc.) and I get past the choosing a language portion. However, from this main menu, if I choose any of the options everything stops responding; keyboard input is no longer accepted and nothing changes on the screen at all. I have verified that the iso is correct (compared md5) and I believe that the burn was fine because I tried it twice, burning at slow speeds, with a different burner each time and get the same problem with either disc. Any help?

FWIW, it's a Dell XPS M1530 with a 2.4ghz Intel C2D, 4 gigs of RAM and an nVidia Geforce 8600m GT.

sukhhari
December 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
May be problem with DVD or your Nvidia Card.

Jarn
December 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
It is not a problem with the disc (I just ran it in VMWare from the disc and it worked), though it could be a problem with my nVidia card - if so, what would I do to fix it?

sukhhari
December 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM
You may be check with Dell Website for any Firewares to your Dell System, if so try to update Fireware first and then go ahead with Ubuntu.

Jarn
December 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Uhh... what? What is a fireware?

sukhhari
December 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Sorry, Please read as FIRMWARE not fireware.

This will be supporting to your Dell System H/W for New installations and others requirements.

Jarn
December 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Problem fixed. There was nothing wrong with my drivers...

jseabold
May 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry to blow the dust off this thread, but what was the fix? I'm having similar issues putting Jaunty on a Dell at my school.