PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] uninstall xfce?

m_a_b
December 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I was fooling around this evening and decided to install xfce on my ubuntu distro, so I used synaptic and installed xubuntu-desktop. It installed 85 packages including things like abiword, thunar, and gnumeric spreadsheet. Now I decided that I really didn't want to do that, so I went back into synaptic and marked xubuntu-desktop for complete removal, but it did not mark the other 84 packages.

So, does anyone know how to remove all those packages that were installed? Or at the very least, how to get a list of what was installed so I can go back and remove them one by one?

albinootje
December 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Now I decided that I really didn't want to do that, so I went back into synaptic and marked xubuntu-desktop for complete removal, but it did not mark the other 84 packages.

So, does anyone know how to remove all those packages that were installed? Or at the very least, how to get a list of what was installed so I can go back and remove them one by one?

Since you remove the xubuntu-desktop meta-package, a :
sudo apt-get -d install xubuntu-desktop
should show you the names of the other packages.

frankleeee
December 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Make sure you find the distro your running.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

samden
December 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I had the same problem myself. I solved it by:
- I went into Synaptic, searched for "xfce" and marked everything containing that phrase for removal.
- After removing all of those, I then ran "sudo apt-get autoremove" to remove any extra packages that were no longer needed with xfce gone.
- If you need the space, then run "sudo apt-get clean" - that will remove all the .deb files downloaded during the installation (and during the installation of anything you have done in the past) and may well clear up quite a lot of space on your hard drive. Not essential however.

This got rid of xubuntu pretty well, there may be a few things still hanging round but not much. It did leave behind some applications like AbiWord and Gnumetric, but I actually wanted them, and could easily remove them separately if I didn't want them. I hope this helps.

I have learnt from that - if I ever install a desktop environment again I will use "sudo aptitude install" rather than "apt-get" - aptitude remembers what you have done and will later remove the entire thing if you want rather than just the xubuntu-desktop metapackage.

albinootje
December 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have learnt from that - if I ever install a desktop environment again I will use "sudo aptitude install" rather than "apt-get" - aptitude remembers what you have done and will later remove the entire thing if you want rather than just the xubuntu-desktop metapackage.

Interesting to know. Thanks. :)

m_a_b
December 18th, 2008, 12:11 AM
technically, I have not yet removed xubuntu-desktop yet. I canceled out when I saw that it wasn't removing everything.

That psychocat link is freakin' awesome though. In case anyone cares, here are the 84 packages xubuntu-desktop installs on 8.04 (I extracted these from the psychocats command line)

a2ps
abiword
abiword-common
abiword-plugins
gnumeric-common
gnumeric-gtk
gtk2-engines-xfce
imagemagick
libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a
libaiksaurus-1.2-data
libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a
libexo-0.3-0