PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Clicking an executable makes "open with"

s3gfault
December 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I had ubuntu gnome version, with wine installed. The I installed kubuntu-desktop and switched to KDE. Now when i try to launch an executable file by clicking on it, KDE will only try to open it with WINE. So I uninstalled Wine (because i'm not really using it) and now instead of launching the executable i get an "open with" dialog. I'm the owner of the file and it has the executable bit set
$ ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 david david 52576 2008-12-15 10:16 eclipse*from the konsole i can do a ./eclipse and launch the file and it loads up just fine. But i would like to be able to click on it too, of course.

Any suggestions?

s3gfault
December 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
bump prime

s3gfault
December 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
bump

s3gfault
December 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
good morning. Any suggestions?

Shazaam
December 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Right-click the executable>Properties>Open With? Try changing it to what you want.

s3gfault
December 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
?
I don't want to open it with anything... this is a program I want to launch it.

Farmer of Bricks
December 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
I had ubuntu gnome version, with wine installed. The I installed kubuntu-desktop and switched to KDE. Now when i try to launch an executable file by clicking on it, KDE will only try to open it with WINE. So I uninstalled Wine (because i'm not really using it) and now instead of launching the executable i get an "open with" dialog. I'm the owner of the file and it has the executable bit set
$ ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 david david 52576 2008-12-15 10:16 eclipse*from the konsole i can do a ./eclipse and launch the file and it loads up just fine. But i would like to be able to click on it too, of course.

Usually, *.exe files are windows programs, and therefore need to be opened with Wine. If you want to try opening it with another program,
1 right-click on the file
2 choose "properties'
3 where it says "file type", there should be a line saying what type of file it is, followed by a little wrench icon.
4 Click on that wrench
5 Now that you have a new properties window, look down near the bottom, where there (should be) a list of programs.
6 click "add"
7 In this new dialogue, find the program you wnat to open it with.

Of course, if you're trying to run Eclipse, the Java SDK, it's provided in the repositories, and you can download and install it through a package manager, like Adept, Synaptic, or

user@comp: sudo apt-get install eclipse

s3gfault
December 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
i'm sorry if this sounds rude, but why does everyone assume i mean a Windows *.exe file when i say the word executable? (this came up in IRC too).

This is eclipse, by the way, as you deduced. The repositories do not have the latest version.

I just want to launch the program when i click on it. Instead when i click on it Plasma makes an "open with" dialog. arg.

Carl Hamlin
December 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
i'm sorry if this sounds rude, but why does everyone assume i mean a Windows *.exe file when i say the word executable? (this came up in IRC too).

This is eclipse, by the way, as you deduced. The repositories do not have the latest version.

I just want to launch the program when i click on it. Instead when i click on it Plasma makes an "open with" dialog. arg.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Right. You're going to need to set the permissions on the executable to 'executable'. I'll bet you a quarter that right now the permissions on the executable disallow execution.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEAREDAAYFAklQHcIACgkQyLm4ydrABvdl0ACfdjSOefaSOr qZlOvJzKox7AdX
PVAAoOZR4G78rAq78nzuDlUHtZ3jG2bQ
=2K9R
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

s3gfault
December 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Right. You're going to need to set the permissions on the executable to 'executable'. I'll bet you a quarter that right now the permissions on the executable disallow execution.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEAREDAAYFAklQHcIACgkQyLm4ydrABvdl0ACfdjSOefaSOr qZlOvJzKox7AdX
PVAAoOZR4G78rAq78nzuDlUHtZ3jG2bQ
=2K9R
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----right, you'll owe me a quarter then. I'll take paypal. You could have saved yourself that money by reading the first post :P

and it has the executable bit set

s3gfault
December 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
good morning.

s3gfault
December 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
hello forums, any suggestions on this problem?

Wisp558
December 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Can you set the "open with" menu to the command "sh" (or bash, I'm not an expert by any means...)? (assuming it's a shell script...)

s3gfault
December 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Can you set the "open with" menu to the command "sh" (or bash, I'm not an expert by any means...)? (assuming it's a shell script...)

Good idea! I had the same good idea, but it was a no-go. For one, the "open with" dialog i am presented with will only allow you to pick from programs that are registered somewhere in the kde system, i.e. menu items. I tried using "Konsole" but that didn't work. for 2, it's not a shell script, so it probably wouldn't work anyway. for 3, even if this did work, it would just be an ugly work around (i already have a work around, or two).

jamesisin
December 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to run it from the command line? That is to say, navigate to its containing folder (your Desktop?) and type its name (./eclipse)?

(Actually, I don't think you'll need the ./ and can just type eclipse.)

s3gfault
December 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
launches without a hitch.

jamesisin
December 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
You know, if I look at the properties for bash (under /bin) it lists Wine Windows Program Loader under Opens With. As does mahjongg (under /usr/games). I wonder if that isn't supposed to be there for normal operations? (I am running Gnome.) What do you see for those two files' properties?

s3gfault
December 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i'm not there now to check but im sure the settings are the same as yours. when i first tried kde4, i had wine installed, and it was trying to launch eclipse as a windows exe with wine. then i unistalled wine and now i get this darn "open with" dialog

jamesisin
December 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Well, take a look at those two (common) applications and match them if possible. My guess is that either they say something different or you want to add Wine Windows Program Loader to that tab. Probably they specify something else. I'm very curious to know. This is an intersting problem.

s3gfault
December 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Well, take a look at those two (common) applications and match them if possible. My guess is that either they say something different or you want to add Wine Windows Program Loader to that tab. Probably they specify something else. I'm very curious to know. This is an intersting problem.well, I'll look but i think we may be miscommunicating here. I could launch this program with Wine, or anything else i want just by choosing that thing from my "open with" dialog, but thats not the expected behavior. what i need it to do is this:

1) i click a file
2) check for associated programs.
3) if it finds one, launch that program with the file i clicked on as arg 1
4) if it does not find one, check if the x perm bit is set
5) if it is not, launch the "open with" dialog
6) if it is, launch it.

this should be the default behavor. this is the way it works in gnome. what i think happened is that when i had wine installed, it registered itself as the handler for every executable file accidently (instead of just windows ones). then, when i removed wine something screwed up and now the process short circuits at step 5.

jamesisin
December 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM
You are correct. I think we are miscommunicating.

I don't think bash EVER runs under Wine. This is why I am so curious what yours says. I feel quite certain that my Wine is NOT running my bash, irregarding what the Open With tab has to say. I may be on the wrong track, but at the very least you have to admit this is an interesting line of reasoning.

(I checked in my System Monitor, ps, and top; and Wine is not running. I have a bash terminal and mahjongg open.)