PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Fluxbox or Openbox?

Hospadar
December 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Soon I will be building a lightweight installation for an older tablet PC on top of an ubuntu server installation.

I want to use a very lightweight window manager, and since I'm most familiar with fluxbox and openbox, and the seem to be the most supported of the super-lightweight-for-my-super-old-machine window managers I'd like to use one of the two.

Does anyone have any preference between the two (please give your reasoning)

This is a tablet with no keyboard, I'll be using a combination of cellwriter (handwriting recognition) and on-screen keyboard, so one of my main criteria is as little reliance on keyboard shortcuts as possible.

Thanks,
L-tronix

tomcheng76
December 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
i vote for fluxbox.
Easier to setup as it have initial config file.
No panel in openbox.

But i heard that ob is rewritten while fluxbox comes from blackbox.
both of them have nearly the same speed. So i prefer fluxbox.

SpenceMakesSense
December 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
i vote for fluxbox.
Easier to setup as it have initial config file.
No panel in openbox.

But i heard that ob is rewritten while fluxbox comes from blackbox.
both of them have nearly the same speed. So i prefer fluxbox.

+1 I've tried both in the past. I just found fluxbox easier to use

Hospadar
December 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
In fluxbox, when I install new stuff, will it get automatically added to the menus? Is there a package I can install to make that happen?

eriqjaffe
December 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
In fluxbox, when I install new stuff, will it get automatically added to the menus? Is there a package I can install to make that happen?It won't by default, but you can use marchfluxmenu (http://code.google.com/p/marchfluxmenu/) to do that. There's a deb package for it on the site.

snowpine
December 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
In fluxbox, when I install new stuff, will it get automatically added to the menus? Is there a package I can install to make that happen?

Yes, the package is called... drum roll please... menu

:)

Eisenwinter
December 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I use Openbox on Arch Linux, and have used OB on Ubuntu hardy, before moving to Arch.

It's fast, lightweight, and very customizable, but as far as openbox vs fluxbox, I can't really say anything, because I've never used fluxbox.

Nxion
December 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Another vote for Openbox. I tried Fluxbox and was not the happiest with it. I switched to Openbox becasue it just seemed to flow. I felt very comfortable in it.

urukrama
December 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Openbox. It is a lot more polished, more actively developed, and a lot more pleasant to use (at least for me). The xml configuration files may seem scary, but are easy to edit. If you use Obconf and Obmenu, configuring Openbox is very simple.

If you need help getting started with Openbox, check the Openbox guide linked to in my signature.