PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Thinkpad T500 wireless not working

madhatter84gn
December 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Everywhere I have read, I see that 8.10 supports the Intel 5100/5300 out of the box, however, I am unable to get it working. I am pretty new(really green) to Linux and chose the Thinkpad because it looked to be the best fit and easiest to setup. Currently I am hard wired and have upgraded everything to the latest version so I am not sure what else to try. I have read all of the suggestions that I could find relating to this manner, but most say it works out of the box. Any help would be great.

Thanks

albinootje
December 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Everywhere I have read, I see that 8.10 supports the Intel 5100/5300 out of the box, however, I am unable to get it working. I am pretty new(really green) to Linux and chose the Thinkpad because it looked to be the best fit and easiest to setup. Currently I am hard wired and have upgraded everything to the latest version so I am not sure what else to try. I have read all of the suggestions that I could find relating to this manner, but most say it works out of the box. Any help would be great.

A colleague of mine had a laptop where we were busy getting wireless to work.
Finally we found out that some Fn + special key needed to be pressed to activate the wifi-card. Perhaps your laptop has something similar ?
Or is it working fine in .. that other OS ?

mikhmv
December 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I had for one week T500 with 5300(I ordered 5350 but lenovo send me with 5300). Wifi with ubuntu 8.1 worked without any problem.
Now I have 5350 and unable to make it work.
Can lenovo change something in firmware?

madhatter84gn
December 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I guess my issue above can be closed. The weirdest thing, I came home booted up and the wireless worked fine. It must have been a reboot that solved it after the kernel was upgraded or something.

albinootje
December 17th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I had for one week T500 with 5300(I ordered 5350 but lenovo send me with 5300). Wifi with ubuntu 8.1 worked without any problem.
Now I have 5350 and unable to make it work.
Can lenovo change something in firmware?

Quite possible.

That reminds me of buying a pci-based wifi card from SMC years ago, that one worked out of the box in Ubuntu (It was atheros based).
I was very happy with it, and i told a friend about it.
He went to buy the same, but we found out that SMC was selling *exactly* the same type of wifi card in a very similar box, but... with a different chipset which did *not* work in Linux at all :(

That was horrible.