PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NM Connects but Internet goes slow

jandante
December 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I have something strange going on.

At first my computer was installed in my room and after installation of the latest Ubuntu, wireless worked perfectly. I just had to enter my wireless key.

My netword card is a USB stick (NETGEAR WG111V3). I didn't even had to install 'ndiswrapper' or other tricks.

Now my computer is moved to another room, because my room needs some changes. I start my computer and Ubuntu connects to the wireless network. When i open Firefox or Evolution i get no webpages/e-mails...

I check my connection and it gives me 50%. Then i do a 'ifconfig' and my wlan0 gets a valid ip (192.168.1.5), but when i try to ping to a site (www.google.be) it gives very slow some responses from the site. sometimes it doesn't give me anything at all. And I also get Destination Host Unreachable

Is this really because of my location? Because now I'm typing this on my Window Laptop which is right next to it and has an excellent connection with te wireless network.

jandante
December 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Apparantly it is. I've moved the computer to the hallway wich is closer to my room and I have a reasonable connection speed.

Does this mean that the quality of the driver determines the connection strenght? Because in Windows on the same computer/distance i get perfect connection.