PDA

View Full Version : My first Linux distribution - Poll

ajcham
December 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I don't know if this the best place for this, but I thought I'd set up a poll to get a little indication to how people got started with Linux.

So... which was the first distro you got to grips with? Was it a good start or did it put you off for a while?

I've tried to put the most appropriate options in the poll, so sorry if I've missed any out that people think I should have included.

If your first distro isn't listed, consider if it is a direct derivative of a listed one, rather than automatically voting 'other'. If you think your distro stands on it's own reasonably enough, then by all means vote 'other' and tell us about it in the forum.

As for me, I started with Mandrake 9 back in 2003. It was a good introduction to Linux - the Mandrake Control Centre was excellent and the distro came with the best installer I've used to date (I know not everyone would agree, but for me it had just the right balance of ease of use, power and flexibility).

I've been using Ubuntu on/off since Breezy, moving through Dapper, Feisty, Hardy and now Intrepid.

mobilediesel
December 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I can't remember what my very first distribution was. Red Hat 5 or 6 was my second. The first I downloaded from somewhere onto about 26 floppies.

The first distribution that I installed and actually kept for regular use was Ubuntu. Well, Xubuntu. When I cobble together enough parts for another system it will most likely be Arch Linux.

Rokurosv
December 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Debian was my first distro and up until now I've been biased to Debian distros, I just love apt :D.

jomiolto
December 16th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Red Hat 6.x in early 2000 (I think it was 6.1, but I'm not sure).

Perfect Storm
December 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Corel Linux

Ms_Angel_D
December 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ubuntu for me it was the first one that I found a walk-though for on how to set it up with virtualbox so I didn't have the fear of screwing up my computer.

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I've started with ubuntu 7.04 but that wasn't a really good distro for my laptop at the moment.

After a few weeks I switched to Linux Mint, that ran better.

Then I switched my desktop to PClinuxOS 2007.

Then when Gutsy came out I switched both of them to Ubuntu again.

Now my laptop runs Ubuntu 8.10, my netbook Ubuntu 8.04 and my desktop Arch Linux.

ibutho
December 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
My first distro was Debian 2.2 (Potato) sometime in 2000. I managed to install it, but struggled to setup X. sometime later I tried Red Hat 5.2 and Mandrake 5.2 which worked very well on my system and X wasn't much of a pain to setup as it was with Debian Potato.

bartos
December 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Caldera eDesktop 2.4--Got it for $10 with a $10 mail-in rebate.

My first serious Linux was Mepis for my IBM T20

bfc
December 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
My first was Redhat 4.0

Sand & Mercury
December 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
My first distro was Ubuntu 5.04, then an attempt at Mandrake (can't recall version), then didn't touch Linux at all till Ubuntu 7.10. I now use 8.10.

ramaswamyps
December 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
i started with knoppix in 2002.

darsu
December 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Mandrake 8.1 around 2001.

Dr Small
December 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ubuntu 6.06 as of November 20th, 2006.

mp3_freak_721
December 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
My first Linux distro was Sabayon. I didn't like it at all until my computer construction teacher introduced me to Ubuntu my sophomore year. Since then, I have tried others including Xubuntu, Slitaz, DSL, Zenwalk, Gentoo, and Fedora. Right now I am using Slitaz cooking and WinXp dualbooting on my pc and planning to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 as my attempts at 8.10 are not working.

DrHackenbush
December 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Found an old PC and set up a lightweight Slackware email server for a previous employer that didn't yet have email (what the?!). It did some monitoring stuff for them as well. Heh - as far as I know, the thing is still running.

artir
December 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Knoppix in 2003 i think, Mandriva in 2004 and Uubntu dapper in 2006 :)

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Slackware 3.0 was my first Linux xperience!

mikjp
December 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
SuSE 7.2 (?) in Sept/Oct 2001.

Accidentaly wiped out windows when trying to install a dual boot system. :lolflag: Since then Linux on desktop. :guitar:

hrod beraht
December 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Not counting the distros I tried for only a day or less, my path was:

Peanut --> Slackware --> Mandrake --> Ubuntu --> Debian --> Fedora --> Arch

Bob

derekr44
December 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Mandrake 8 was my first

dualpretop
December 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Ubuntu 6.10

jamillikan
December 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Xandros 3.0 was my first. That only lasted about 1.5 years about five years ago. Ubuntu Intrepid rocks! I never looked back.

sydbat
December 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Red Hat 5.something. It was on the school computers as an alternative to Windows 2000 when I went back as an adult student to get my degree.

First one I installed at home was Fedora Core 3.

lukjad
December 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think it was Ubuntu. It definitely was my first successful install. Ubuntu may have been edged out by Slax however. Still, Ubuntu is the true point where I started using Linux.

sydbat
December 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I think it was Ubuntu. It definitely was my first successful install. Ubuntu may have been edged out by Slax however. Still, Ubuntu is the true point where I started using Linux.Ubuntu is now on both of our boxes. Haven't gone into XP for almost 8 months, so I guess Ubuntu is the first full time Linux distro I have used...cap'n...

brightJoker
December 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I started with Fedora when I first got into Linux, a copy of Fedora 8 actually came with a "Linux for Dummies" book I bought to start off haha. After a couple months of tinkering with Fedora I decided to check out Ubuntu, mainly because any time I tried to search for any Linux program or how-to, most the time they were for Ubuntu. So far I like Ubuntu a whole lot more.

liquidfunk
December 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Fedora Core 6 was mine.

aysiu
December 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The first distro I tried was Blag (which is Fedora-based).

The one that made me stick with Linux, though, was Mepis (which is Debian-based).

But I quickly switched to Ubuntu and have stuck with it for years since.

-grubby
December 16th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Whatever version of Damn Small Linux was out in July 2007.

MikeTheC
December 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Red Hat 4.2 (briefly).

gn2
December 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
First Linux distro I ever booted into was PCLinuxOS 0.92

aaaantoine
December 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Tried Red Hat in 2001 or 2002.

Then tried Mandrake in 2005.

Then tried Ubuntu in 2007, which I stuck with...

Until a little over a week ago, 2008, when I switched to Arch.

bonzodog
December 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The first distro I used was an SLS server (Soft Landing Systems) in 1996, then I installed Caldera Linux on a pentium 1 I had in 99. Then, I met Paladine (aka Beamerboy on here), and he introduced me to the wonders of Slackware Linux, with me taking brief forays into Mandrake Linux.

I ran that until 2005, when I switched to Slamd64 after building a new machine. I then switched to ubuntu for 6 months, and then on to Zenwalk for the next 18 months. Then, I discovered Arch Linux, and havent looked back.

ajcham
December 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The first distro I used was an SLS server (Soft Landing Systems) in 1996, then I installed Caldera Linux on a pentium 1 I had in 99.

Did you vote? I'm not seeing a vote for SLS in the poll - or are you regarding Caldera as your first distro?

Chame_Wizard
December 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Ubuntu 5.10 in February 2006(1ST TRY.

FEB-MAY Comparing diffrent distro.

Kubuntu 6.06 in May-July 2006(NEVER USED,but Kubuntu is my official distro since then and main OS with 7.04,MAY 2007)

:guitar:

Changturkey
December 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Fedora 7.

ajcham
December 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Somewhat interesting results.

Obviously, given the nature of this forum it isn't surprising to see Ubuntu come out top (although in fairness, I think Ubuntu has been important in increased Linux adoption over the past few years).

I'm not too surprised to see good results for Fedora/Red Hat and Mandrake/Mandriva either - when I got started Red Hat was very popular, and Mandrake was frequently touted as the best distro for newbies.

I had hoped to unearth one or two veterans who got started right at the beginning so I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) to have no votes for SLS (maybe I should have left the option a little more open, and simply said 'any pre-slackware distro'?)

The only one I am genuinely surprised by is Debian - I expected much more than 2.3%.

rucadulu
April 22nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
My first linux experience was Red Hat 8 Back before fedora split off of red hat. My second was Red Hat 9 and then Knoppix and then Mepis. After that I tried at least 20 more different ones. Then I settled on using two at hone Ubuntu and PClinuxOS. At work however, I use three Oracle Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and fedora.

kk0sse54
April 22nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 in vmwware player, although 8.04 Hardy BETA was the first I actually installed.

pbpersson
April 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Dabbled with Corel and was discouraged

Dabbled with Red Hat 6.2 and was VERY discouraged

Dabbled with Mandrake 9.2 and 10.1 and stayed with it for many months - went back to Windows

Discovered Ubuntu 7.04 and was hooked on Linux :guitar::lolflag:

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Ubuntu 7.04

lisati
April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I looked at Red Hat that came on a CD with a library book, but the first distro I actually installed was Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)

Apart from no sound (fixed by applying updates) and USB mouse & keyboard spontaneously stopping working after about 15 minutes or so (fixed by tinkering with acpi settings in menu.lst) it was great.

Ericyzfr1
April 22nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Ubuntu was the first Linux OS I installed on my laptop, it lasted for 10 minutes, I then tried Kubuntu for a couple of hours......A year later I installed Mandriva, Fedora, Opensuse and finally went back to Ubuntu.

Twitch6000
April 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
PClinuxOS like right after or right before it hit the 2007 mark.I can't remember its been so long lol.

VMalloy
April 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
I chose Mandriva but it was actually PCLinuxOS.

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
mepis in early 04.

shobon
April 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
A friend of mine gave me an Ubuntu LiveCD about a year or so ago, and I installed it on an old tower that I never used, and I lost interest after a week or so.

Then a few weeks ago I got a netbook (AAO) to experiment with and play around installing OS's on. I'm quite fond of Jaunty UNR and I've been using it ever since.

perpetualcacophany
April 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
I started with and am still using Ubuntu. I'm actually in the process of installing Gentoo (very frustrating), so I guess we'll see if I've learned anything useful.

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
several years ago, red hat was the first linux i tried to get installed... unsuccessfully. then a little later, I tried Mandrake and actually got it to work!

but I think I was having a problem with my video card or something stupid so i gave up.

then i took a long break before installing feisty fawn and its been ubuntu ever since!

Tim Sharitt
April 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
The very first Linux distribution I used was a little floppy distro that I can't remember the name of (maybe Empire Linux) back around 1996. I remember choosing it because the disk image was only 500k as opposed to other distros that were 1MB+, which was a factor on a 28.8k modem :).

divague
April 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
My first linux distribution was Red Hat 9

samjh
April 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
The first was Red Hat 3, which didn't install on my computer because it couldn't recognise my HDD. That was way back around year 2000/2001.

The next attempt was in early 2006 with Ubuntu Badger. It was OK, but I couldn't play games (even though wine), MS Office document formats were very poorly supported by OpenOffice, and multimedia codecs were a pain to figure out. It lasted only a few days.

Next attempt was in 2006 with Ubuntu Edgy. Better than Badger, but compatibility and codec problems forced me to dual-boot with Windows XP.

Feisty was when I transitioned to an entirely Linux system. No Windows, except via VirtualBox (to run MS Office). Medibuntu took care of most codec problems, and wine worked well enough for CS:S/HL2 and WC3. This has been my arrangement since.

mohitchawla
April 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Puppy Linux barebones (no GUI)...don't exactly remember the version...I think it was somewhere around ver.2. I didn't touch my system for more than a few months after that as I was somewhat frightened. Heck I didn't know a lot of stuff then and I thought their forums were bad ( well of course I was wrong !... they have one of the best forums out there..). I again made a start with Puppy Linux 3.01 and it was my only distro for around an year.

Lunx
April 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 starting January this year. Since then I've had another partition where I've installed and played with Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, CrunchBang, Mandriva, Mepis and Puppy. Did fresh install of Jaunty RC yesterday, so my box is now 9.04 only (with Puppy on an external drive). I mostly boot Ubuntu as I can get stuff done simply with it, I boot Puppy when I've got time to spare and want to learn more on how this Linux thing actually works.

Ozor Mox
April 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I started with Ubuntu 6.06 in early 2007. I've since dabbled with a few other distributions (Debian, openSUSE, sidux, DSL, Puppy, Fedora) as well as FreeBSD, DesktopBSD and PC-BSD. I've never stopped using Ubuntu as my primary OS though, as it does exactly what I want.

nandemonai
April 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Rh 4 I believe it was.

Kazade
April 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
My first was Redhat 4.0

Same here. I installed it on my first PC (which I built) because I didn't have Windows. I kept it for about 2-3 weeks and then forgot about Linux until about 2003/2004 when I tried Fedora Core 2... and that drove me away again until I tried OpenSuse in 2005 (but it never got used) then finally I installed Ubuntu Breezy and I've never looked back. Used Breezy, Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid and Jaunty. Also tried Mint, Fedora, CentOS and OpenSuse in the last couple of years. (OpenSuse sucked the most, Yast package management is a terrible terrible thing IMO).

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
My first distribution was Red Hat 5.x (5.2 I think, I can dig to see if I can find the CD). The biggest danish LUG (SSLUG) was doing a big puch for Linux and getting magazines to ship a 5.2 CD as well was printing little helpful books which also came with the CDs.

A friend of mine was determined to try it, and when he has learned the ropes with a little help from IRC he offered to install it on my laptop. He later discovered that he liked gaming to much to use Linux but I kept at it. Today over a decade later it is still my only OS.

XubuRoxMySox
April 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
I took a little online quiz called "Which Distro is Best for Me," as a scared little newbie with very little 'puter know-how who has never known anything but WinXP.

The result gave me a few choices, and I visited their web sites and lurked in their forums for a few days before choosing Ubuntu for my first foray into liberating Linux.

Using 8.10 starting last month, then I think I'll do a fresh install of Jaunty. I've become a rabid Ubuntu fanboy and hope I'm not too obnoxious about it, LOL.

-Robin

lukjad
April 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Ubuntu 7.04
Are the repos still there? Anyway Ubuntu 8.10 is the best one so far, though 7.04 comes a close second.

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Red Hat 7 back in 2003. I have tried many others, including Ubuntu, but always stick with Red Hat/Fedora.

Dragonbite
April 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Started out with Red Hat 8.0. Once I got it all up and running they came out with 9.0 and even that they were not supporting for long.

So I moved to Gentoo for a while. Great place to learn.

From there I've been between Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora.

jimbob
April 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
I actually PAID for my first distro, Redhat, purchased from Bestbuy back around 2000 for $29.95 because I wanted to try Linux.
I guess I thought it would be a polished, reliable and care free product since it came in a fancy package.
Boy, was I wrong.

I then went to a product called Libranet which I liked a lot better but they went out of business around 2003 I think.

I have stuck with Debian-based distros ever since because I like them better.

spcwingo
April 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Puppy 2.16

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
You have to be the gayest member on this forum.

And you my friend have to be the most quickly to be banned :).

BrokenKingpin
April 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Redhat 9 for me.

coldReactive
April 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
KNOPPIX and simplyMEPIS.

chrisinspace
April 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Fedora Core 4, I upgraded to Core 5, then moved over to Ubuntu. My main gripes with FC were competing repos, dependancy issues, and constant schedule slips on new releases. I still play with it in VirtualBox once in a while since they are quicker to adopt new technology, but Ubuntu is my primary distro.

Bramkaandorp
April 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
My first Linux distro was Xandros... on my EEEpc in june 2008.

It was funny. I was used to W XP, so when I saw the interface of the EEEpc, It was much easier. After some research, I found out that the interface is only on the EEE.

However, when I started using Linux on my pc, I began with Ubuntu 8.04, and after a while, I also installed it on my EEE.

pimz
April 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Mandrake kde back in the day

Josef_A
April 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Debian, but only so I could build LFS. I moved on pretty quickly to something with a package manager, needless to say.

SuperSonic4
April 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Mandriva 2008.0 (which came out about a year ago, almost to the day xD)

KDE 3 looked nice and the multirow taskbar was good when I needed lots of msn windows open (I despise tabbed IM windows)

From there I went to ubuntu, kubuntu, mandriva, kubuntu, suse and finally I am on arch

wsonar
April 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
RedHat 5

Hells_Dark
April 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I voted ubuntu but the first i tried was a knoppix live cd.

Ticketoride
April 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Mandrake 7 some 7 - 8 Years ago... then wiped it off 2 hours later, dismissed as a Joke. Never looked back.

2 Weeks ago ... installed Kubuntu twice and crashed within Days, Functionalities mysteriously disappearing, and also written off as a Joke.

Installed & wiped Ubuntu 8.04 twice in 5 Days, and 9.04 also twice over a 10 Day Span. Neither one is of any Use to me, since continuously attending to OS Repairs/Restorations is not a Hobby.

I'll give Arch Linux the last Shot, beyond that 25 GBs of HDD Space will be put to better use.

spacegypsy
April 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
SuSE 10.0

drawkcab
April 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Warty Warthog was my first linux experience.

I had bought a new laptop and tossed ubuntu onto my old pentinum III to see what would happen. Later, I moved onto the first xubuntu release, before xubuntu became an official branch. After about a year or so of toying around, I became a convert.

Dragonbite
April 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Mandrake 7 some 7 - 8 Years ago... then wiped it off 2 hours later, dismissed as a Joke. Never looked back.

2 Weeks ago ... installed Kubuntu twice and crashed within Days, Functionalities mysteriously disappearing, and also written off as a Joke.

Installed & wiped Ubuntu 8.04 twice in 5 Days, and 9.04 also twice over a 10 Day Span. Neither one is of any Use to me, since continuously attending to OS Repairs/Restorations is not a Hobby.

I'll give Arch Linux the last Shot, beyond that 25 GBs of HDD Space will be put to better use.

And you haven't taken the divine subtle hint that maybe Linux isn't for you?
:lolflag:

atomizer
April 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Mandrake 7, then moved to Gentoo

Started using Kubuntu with Dapper Drake

Still toying with Gentoo and an G3 300Mhz

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM

Looks like *nix is not for you pal. And good luck with Arch by the way, but at the end, i think Linux might write you off as a big joke.

MysticGold04
April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I started with Slackware, which was my real first exposure.. really confused the heck outta me.. then moved to RH5, then Mandrake, tried SuSe a few times, but never really took the plunge until I found Ubuntu a few years ago. I have been faithful ever since... well, I've tried other distros, but have always came back to Ubuntu.

I now have most of my machines running Ubuntu happily, and hope to for many years. I can say its nice not to have issues with stuff... at least not issues that cause me to format and re-install! :mrgreen:

Marlonsm
April 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
I started with Ubuntu. Alothough some years ago a computer I had came with Connectiva (the one that fused with Mandrake to make Mandriva), but I didn't use it much.

Berserker v7
April 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
At the time I got my first Linux distro installed, i didnt even know what distros were!!!

n today i go around telling friends how ubuntu is simply the best of most users and how opensuse is the worst distro out there, especially after the novell microsoft mix-up...

kk0sse54
April 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
n today i go around telling friends how ubuntu is simply the best of most users and how opensuse is the worst distro out there, especially after the novell microsoft mix-up...

That's horrible advise to tell anybody due to your unfounded claim over OpenSUSE.

macrohard
April 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Oh God forgive me.....

Lindows 3.0

Berserker v7
April 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
That's horrible advise to tell anybody due to your unfounded claim over OpenSUSE.

I agree that saying Ubuntu is most user-friendly is debatable... regarding open-suse, sorry, but I don't see myself changing my opinions about it...

Anyway, I don't give the novell ms thingy as the reason to anybody, especially when I know that they don't give much of a damn to open source either... and yeah, everyone whom I got converted from suse to ubuntu agrees that they find ubuntu to be way better... :P

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I agree that saying Ubuntu is most user-friendly is debatable... regarding open-suse, sorry, but I don't see myself changing my opinions about it...

Anyway, I don't give the novell ms thingy as the reason to anybody, especially when I know that they don't give much of a damn to open source either... and yeah, everyone whom I got converted from suse to ubuntu agrees that they find ubuntu to be way better... :P

OpenSuse is a pretty good distro, and people who are used to rpms and kde oriented desktops, will say a lot of good things about OpenSuse. I used Suse years ago, though I am not a big fan of the rpm package management, it was a good experience. But OpenSuse is one of the very few distros that provide a splendid KDE implementation. And to talk smack about that distro, just because there is a cooperation between novell and microsoft is plain wrong. That might be your opinion and as you have put it, it might not change, but you should think twice before trying to enlighten others on the evils of OpenSuse using that logic.

Berserker v7
April 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
OpenSuse is a pretty good distro, and people who are used to rpms and kde oriented desktops, will say a lot of good things about OpenSuse. I used Suse years ago, though I am not a big fan of the rpm package management, it was a good experience. But OpenSuse is one of the very few distros that provide a splendid KDE implementation. And to talk smack about that distro, just because there is a cooperation between novell and microsoft is plain wrong. That might be your opinion and as you have put it, it might not change, but you should think twice before trying to enlighten others on the evils of OpenSuse using that logic.

I have mentioned this in my previous post and I do it again... I do not tell anyone about the evils of suse... its something we reserve for our FOSS group meetings :P... most of my friends started using suse cos that was the single OS installed in our institute's lab.. indeed suse was the first distro i used, of whose name i knew... but later, when i started using ubuntu and found it to be way better, from my viewpoint, i started suggesting ubuntu to them as a replacement for suse... and every single one among them is happy about making the shift...

mamamia88
April 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
technically yellow dog when i installed it on my ps3. but that got me interested to try other versions of linux so i installed ubuntu on my laptop haven't touched ydl on my ps3 more than 10 minutes since i installed it

Ticketoride
April 23rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
Looks like *nix is not for you pal. And good luck with Arch by the way, but at the end, i think Linux might write you off as a big joke.
It already has, which is neither here nor there in any Circles of Importance ... but thanks for your Kind Response to the OS Crashes I had anyways.

Any OS that routinely crashes within Days after is Mickey-Mouse, any OS whatsoever.

amingv
April 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
The first linux distro I've ever dowloaded was called something like "TurboLinux", if mind serves well, I never did get to install it because a schoolmate of mine borrowed it and never gave it back.

The first linux distro I ever tried was Knoppix (It supported my audio card, even though it was a LiveCD, and has this cool "Initiating shutdown sequence" dialogue by a sexy-voiced woman), the first one I ever installed was Mandrake (Still have the 3 cds of version 10-point-something somewhere around).
EDIT:
OMG, they still exist:
http://www.turbolinux.com/
they don't seem to hold a beer-free project anymore though.

danebramaged
May 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
Back before SCO got their mits on it, I bought a 2 disk set called Caledara 2.0. I used Windows and DOS to get all the hardware info I needed prior to starting but, I all I needed was the RAMDAC info for the video card.

I don't remember the hardware specs anymore. I just remember how flawless the install was. Everything but the internet connection installed exactly as expected.

The install was graphical. It was fast and efficient. So efficient in fact, that I used the option which allowed for playing tetris during the install.

It was awesome.

Although I must admit, I never got the internet connection working so, I went back to using microslop.

thisllub
May 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM
Suse 6.0.

misfitpierce
May 1st, 2009, 06:23 AM
Mandriva/Mandrake was my first years ago... Then about 3 months after trying that I switched to Debain/Ubuntu and have not looked back since... Been on Ubuntu for years and love it. No more windows or redhat based OS's for me :P

Dok
May 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
My first Linux install was Red Hat 3 back in 1996. I remember I never did get sound working and the video wasn't quite right. We are talking Pentium 90 and Matrox video cards and Sound Blaster sound cards and the only nics worth buying, 3Com. I finally got Red Hat working correctly after RHL 4 was released. Although I have tried and still try other distros I pretty much stuck with Red Hat and Fedora on the desktop until Ubuntu Warty.

Servers have always been Red Hat for me but that's because I was trained on them and am comfortable with it.
Dok

dspari1
May 1st, 2009, 06:57 AM
Mine was Redhat Linux in 1998 when I was 14 years old, and it also happened to be the time that the first release of KDE came out too.

When I downloaded the iso, my soundcard never worked, but as soon as I bought it at the store, it worked. I then got fed up with dependency hell, and went back to Windows until around 2007.

In 2007, I tried Ubuntu to see what it was all about, but switched to Kubuntu because I liked the KDE apps better.

After the KDE 4.0 fiasco, and Kubuntu switching to it by default, I switched to Sabayon 3.5 since it was one of the few distros that stayed with KDE 3.5 until recently(I feel that KDE 4.2 is what 4.0 should have been).

I tried Jaunty, but the KDE integration still isn't up to par. I love Sabayon's KDE a lot more.

LookTJ
May 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Ubuntu 6.06

dspari1
May 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM
First Linux distro I ever booted into was PCLinuxOS 0.92

Not to bash PCLinuxOS, but couldn't have they been a little bit more creative with the name? Believe it or not, I stayed away from it for that reason.

ezsit
May 1st, 2009, 07:35 AM
My first Linux distro? Jeez! I think it was SuSE 5.3 in 1998. I remember buying it a Border's and thinking it was going to be fun. I barely managed to get XFree86 setup since the installation was mixed German and English. Luckily monitor setup was easy enough just knowing the German words for YES and NO. However, having a German keyboard map was the deal breaker and not knowing how to change the damn thing when many of the keys didn't correspond to my keyboard. I reinstalled and made sure to change the keyboard map, however, my printer, scanner, and modem were too difficult for me to tackle and I went back to OS/2 Warp quickly.