PDA

View Full Version : One Man's Trash ...

mhancoc7
December 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Ok, I can't believe that I am even telling this story.

First let me say that I am a huge Ubuntu fan. I love it. I also love my Compaq Armada 1750. I found that it is an excellent laptop and Ubuntu runs great on it.

Now for the story.

I am what you might call an opportunistic dumpster diver. In other words when I see trash I can't help but look and see what is stacked in the pile. In our building we have a common area on the first floor for all the trash collection. It is very common for someone to leave items that they no longer want, but have nothing wrong with them. It is usually a fan, a couch, or some other mundane item. Well last night I went to take some trash out and I looked around as usual and to my amazement I saw a laptop. So of course I snatched it up. It was a Compaq Armada M700. It had no power supply so I went tonight and purchased a Targus Universal AC adapter. I plugged it in and tried to install Breezy. It went fine until I got to the partitioning. It failed! I figured the hard drive must be bad. So I pulled out my "tackle box" and sure enough I still had a 6.4 gig hard drive that I had pulled from my Compaq Armada 1750. I put it in the box and while I was doing that I decided to drop in a couple of 128 MB sticks of RAM that I had from some other upgrades to my 1750. I rebooted and everything went 100% perfect. In fact I am currently posting this with my "new" laptop. I was able to easily use ndiswrapper to get my network adapter card.

So here I am with my new "distro test laptop" that cost me a grand total of $45 for the AC adapter and of course the spare parts that I already had.

Oh and did I mention that ACPI is working great and sound worked perfect with no tweaking what so ever. I even have usplash working right out of the box!!

God Bless, Jereme :)

earobinson
December 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
nice. im all about the old harware. If anyone wants so send some my way for xmass ......

maruchan
December 9th, 2005, 07:12 PM
lol, you gomi bandit! When I lived in Japan my friends used to get stuff out of the trash all the time...watches still in the original packaging, tennis rackets, stereos, 1st generation famicom systems, still in the box...

I'm not surprised to hear about this, but it is very cool that you happened to have some parts for it! Congratulations :)

Chris Tucker
December 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM
sweet, wish i had that kind of luck..

majikstreet
December 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
sweet, wish i had that kind of luck..
yeah..

matthew
December 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
That story rocks! Congrats.

I have a friend that found an old tube-powered guitar amp sitting next to a dumpster. He took it home, cleaned the outside, brought it to me and I went over the electronics and replaced a few really old capacitors, then we turned it on--incredible tone! Total cost: $0.75 for parts and an hour of my time.

Rackerz
December 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Nice find! What's the specs?

matthew
December 9th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Nice find! What's the specs?
http://www.bobjohnson.com/compaq-armada-m700/compaq-armada-m700-specs.htm

BWF89
December 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Me and my dad found a working vacuum cleaner and an electric oil heater in the trash recently.

Although the vacuum cleaner fills the room with the smell of vomit whenever you turn it on :-& .

Dr. Nick
December 9th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Mind hooking me up with some parts lol j/k
I have a 1750 works perfectly except I have no HD caddy for it which means no hard drive, so its not much use lol.
I also have 2 armada 7400s which I got without any adapter or working batteries for free, Got an adapter for <20 off ebay (what a steal :))

Know I have 3 laptops not of use since my 2 armada 7400s hard drives both died :rolleyes:

Of course my armada 1750 battery is good but no hard drive, and my 7400 batteries didnt work so I always had to have a outlet to plug into but until 2 days ago the hard drives work.

May that pile of plastic RIP

matthew
December 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Although the vacuum cleaner fills the room with the smell of vomit whenever you turn it on :-& .LOL! That really sucks. ;)

mhancoc7
December 10th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Dr. Nick:

I would love to be able to hook you up with some parts, but I am actually almost out. I guess it is time to hit ebay, ha ha.

It is really awesome, this thing runs Breezy perfect right out of the box. The only thing that I had to do was use ndiswrapper for my network card, but that is what I get for buying a card that is not compatible with linux. I am probably going to do a dist upgrade to Dapper to try it out. It is going to be great to have a "distro test laptop"!

God Bless, Jereme

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
a while back my buds thought I was nuts for rescuing a nice pair of Infinity home stereo speakers from the dumpster. They only had dry rotted surrounds on the woofers. So went ot radio shack and bought some new bass drivers, and I was off for about $40...
Dumpster finds can be great, especially in apartment buildings!
Good find!:p

Dr. Nick
December 11th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Dr. Nick:

I would love to be able to hook you up with some parts, but I am actually almost out. I guess it is time to hit ebay, ha ha.

---

God Bless, Jereme

LOL Spare parts are nice, Ive got a few boxes myself. Upon further review I think I may be somewhat lucky, One of my hard drives may not be physically bad, just a trashed xfs filesystem. I shut it down and moved it and on reboot it wouldnt boot all the way, just gave filesystem read erors.

So I get the joy of reinstalling Ubuntu using the horribly slow cdrom drive I got from a Armada 7800 then cut it down since it wouldnt quite fit in the 7400 shell. LOL It had the same connector the faceplate just kept it from going all the way in, so I just took a hacksaw to it and you cant tell that it wasnt supposed to be like that. :p

.. I wish Best Buy service center used their dumpsters. If they did I imagine Their would be people who camped out their on trash day

gord
December 11th, 2005, 02:32 AM
i found a load of fire in the rubbish bin once... took me a few seconds to realise that i had just thrown a lit match in their by accident... ahh the memorys.

Lux Perpetua
December 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Me and my dad found a working vacuum cleaner and an electric oil heater in the trash recently.

Although the vacuum cleaner fills the room with the smell of vomit whenever you turn it on :-& .
I'd put that vacuum cleaner right back where you got it. :shock:

jeremy
December 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM
My kitchen fittings in my 'luxury loft' are made entirely of old floorboards salvaged from a skip in Poplar.