PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] vista HDD partiton

CrimsnDragn
December 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
so i was trying to partition my C: for ubuntu to install. for some reason, i right click in disk manager and select shrink, a message pops up that says i don't have enough memory. Several things i find weird about this:

-3gigs of ram should be enough
-I even closed some big memory hogging apps, like sidebar, all the windows, even explorer.exe itself
-i have done this before, just 2 weeks ago, to install ubuntu (i had to uninstall for technical reasons), and it was working fine.

any help i could get with this? thanks!

Yathi
December 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
U can shrink the partitionn by using Gparted in the live CD of ubuntu. Tat should be a better method to do it. Then u can install ubuntu straight away. N by memory i think it means the HDD memory n not your ram. I m myself new to ubuntu but have done a lot of installations for my friends.

Partyboi2
December 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
For Vista you are better off to use the resize tool that comes with vista. If you are having problems with memory then check your virtual memory size in Control Panel> System and Maintenance>Performance Information and Tools> Advanced Tools. Another thing you could do is boot a ubuntu live cd and at the main menu choose "memtest" and check your ram.

falcon61102
December 16th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Just a tip for resizing:
It's always wise to defrag your drive a few times to ensure the most amount of free space is in one block. That will help prevent against data loss during the resize.

Mark Phelps
December 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
When you're running Vista, you can't shrink the "C" drive.

Also, do NOT use GParted or any other Linux tool to try to shrink that partition. Vista does some weird stuff with NTFS and if you use a Linux tool to shrink the OS partion, that will most likely "break" it. If you have a Vista DVD or Vista Recovery CD handy, you can then boot using that and do a Startup Repair to get Vista booting again. But if you don't have those, you run the risk of permanently "breaking" Vista.

CrimsnDragn
December 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM
When you're running Vista, you can't shrink the "C" drive.

Also, do NOT use GParted or any other Linux tool to try to shrink that partition. Vista does some weird stuff with NTFS and if you use a Linux tool to shrink the OS partion, that will most likely "break" it. If you have a Vista DVD or Vista Recovery CD handy, you can then boot using that and do a Startup Repair to get Vista booting again. But if you don't have those, you run the risk of permanently "breaking" Vista.

you can't shrink the C drive?

hm idk, my only problem is that i want to shrink it, and i've done it before in what i perceive to be the same conditions, and i can't anymore..

Partyboi2
December 16th, 2008, 11:20 PM
you can't shrink the C drive?

hm idk, my only problem is that i want to shrink it, and i've done it before in what i perceive to be the same conditions, and i can't anymore..
Yes you can shrink the Vista partition, What size is your vista partition and what size are you try to resize it to?

CrimsnDragn
December 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM
total of 140 gig, 90gig free, want 10 gig free for ubuntu. idk..i thought i had enough space...

Partyboi2
December 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Have you defraged windows a couple to times first?

CrimsnDragn
December 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM
i did it 3x with the one that came iwth vista...i'm running auslogics now.

CrimsnDragn
December 17th, 2008, 02:23 AM
didn't work...still. is there any free partition managers i could try instead?

Partyboi2
December 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM
If you are using 32bit vista you could try
EASEUS Partition Manager (http://www.partition-tool.com/)or
Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/diskdirector/)

Mark Phelps
December 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry for any misinformation on my part -- of course, you CAN shrink (or at least, TRY to shrink) the Vista OS partition.

Here's a link to the How-to-Geek page on that with some hints of stuff you can try that will help you shrink it more than the feeble amount that Vista typically permits:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

CrimsnDragn
December 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM
thanks guys! EASUS did the trick..made a scary looking boot screen after the restart but it seemed to ahve worked and i installed 8.10. now i have to get my ath5007 workign :(