PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Turn off "copy" in drag 'n drop?

DapperMe17
December 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Xubuntu 8.04

When I drag 'n drop files around Thunar, I want the original file to "move" to the new location, not to "copy" (meaning the original file stays put & needs to be deleted) to that location.

Could I change this behavior?

Thanks

ingeva
December 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Xubuntu 8.04
When I drag 'n drop files around Thunar, I want the original file to "move" to the new location, not to "copy" (meaning the original file stays put & needs to be deleted) to that location.
Could I change this behavior?

In nautilus (Ubuntu) we do this:

Hold down the shift key down when you drag and drop.
Also, to FORCE a copy if it would otherwise move, hold down the CTRL key.

Don't know if that works with thunar, but I believe it's kinda "standard" for windows systems.

DapperMe17
December 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks Ingeva.

All I'd like to do is drag it, drop it & have the file "move" to the new location, NOT "copy" to the new location. I don't want to have to manually delete the "original" location after the drag 'n drop.

Mint XFCE has this default action, but Xubuntu doesn't...???

There has to be a setting that can be changed...however, I can't seem to find it.

Any other ideas?

ingeva
December 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks Ingeva.

All I'd like to do is drag it, drop it & have the file "move" to the new location, NOT "copy" to the new location. I don't want to have to manually delete the "original" location after the drag 'n drop.

Mint XFCE has this default action, but Xubuntu doesn't...???

There has to be a setting that can be changed...however, I can't seem to find it.

Any other ideas?

I don't know since I haven't used that software. I know it's clumsier, but in lieu of the better solution I would mark, cut/copy and paste using the shortcut keys CTRL+X, C and V -- or use the right-click menu.
You could see it as a temporary solution though. Is there another file manager that you can try instead of Thunar?

DapperMe17
December 18th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Sure, I could.

I'd like to keep the custom action menu, because I have a nice secure shred script by Robert Pectol, & Seahorse encryption.

I haven't tried out any lightweight alternatives to Thunar. If you have any suggestions, by all means, feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks

ihendley
June 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
bump.

I have exactly the same question. I am running Xubuntu 9.04. Any advice?

insub2
June 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I found this thread while looking for answers. I also found this

modifiers:
Shift+Drag: Move
Ctrl+Drag: Copy
Ctr+Shift+Drag: Link
(Note how the mouse pointer changes)

This is true for both desktop and thunar, however each seems to default to its own liking.
Found at Xfce Community (http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=4660.0)

awkward42
January 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Bumping as this is the top search result for this issue.

After much searching it seems this is mostly solved, except when dragging and dropping between directories on an NTFS-formatted external drive (something I do a lot). There seems to be no interest in fixing this, and the only options are using shift or using an alternative file manager :(

oldos2er
January 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Closed. Please don't bump old threads; start a new thread for your question/problem.