PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two simple questions

jalehtor
December 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I am attempting to install World of Warcraft on my computer--no windows, just Ubuntu with Wine installed. I have read probably twenty articles on this, and the authors all assume that their readers know how to do certain simple things, and I don't--I am a true ignoramus.

Can someone please give me step by step directions on:

1. How do you create a folder on your desktop? Right now, I rightclick, a folder pops up, I name it, but the folder does not register either with wine, or with Wow, which means that I can't copy the files onto the folder, and then from the folder to Wine for installation.

2. Once you create a folder that Ubuntu and Wow will recognize, how do you copy files from one of the Wow discs to this folder? I'm literally asking for information on what buttons to click, whether to right or left click...I'm so very sorry.

3. Once you have the Wow discs copied unto a folder, what command do you use to get Wine to install them?

Shhnap
December 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Its not so bad as you think.

1)
i) Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine
ii) Drives tab
iii) Autodetect... button

This will give you a bunch of drives that both wine and ubuntu recognise. Then if you want to browse the drives that wine recognises go Applications -> Wine -> Browse C Drive

Then from here just click the .exe file in the wow cd and the install process should start. That's how I installed starcraft but there might be more to wow that you need to setup. Like wine and networking ect. ect.

jpoRS
December 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hey man,

I don't know if this helps, but have you tried making the folders on the "C" drive of wine? (Applications>Wine>Browse C Drive).

I am sorry I can't be much help with the other stuff. My parents told me "Just say no to drugs" so I avoid WoW like it is the plague.

jim