PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Get rid of Vista! I want ubuntu!

DeneMachine
December 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
My Vista license expired (thank you Microsoft!!) and so I want to have only Ubuntu on my machine.

However, I can't login to Vista anymore. I've tried going into the BIOS and booting from the CD with which I have burned an ISO (not sure if I did that right...).

How do I wipe Vista off the machine, install ubuntu on my machine, and what package do I use to install ubuntu?

securitynut
December 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM
When you boot from CD, does it load grub and start the Ubuntu install menu, or load vista?

abn91c
December 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
if the live cd gets you to the desktop click on the install icon, when you get to the partitioning screen choose use entire disk option if you are not sure or don't want to deal with partitioning

DeneMachine
December 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM
It loads Vista, even though I set it to load from CD-Rom in the BIOS. I'm wondering if maybe I burned the wrong package to the CD I'm trying to use.

securitynut
December 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
It sounds like the ISO is burned wrong because the BIOS won't pick it up. When you open the CD, is there just the ISO file, or several files and Folders?

DeneMachine
December 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
just the ISO

securitynut
December 16th, 2008, 05:38 AM
You need to reburn the ISO using an ISO burning program.Just google 'free create burn iso' and the first or second link will have a decent ISO burning program. Download the program then reburn the ISO to a CD.

samden
December 16th, 2008, 05:40 AM
It sounds like you have copied the ISO to a cd, rather than created a cd from the ISO. The ISO is not just a file you put on the cd, rather it is an image of a cd that can be used to create an installation cd, if that makes sense.

What computer are you using to create the installation cd? Generally you should be able to right click (control-click on a Mac) on the ISO file and there will be an option to "burn to cd" or something like that, but this may differ between operating systems. If this doesn't work, tell us what operating system you are using and someone will be able to tell you what to do. You may need to download software to burn an ISO file with.

That way you'll get an actual installation cd, rather than a cd with an ISO file on it.

EDIT:
Oh, securitynut just answered that while I was typing.

abn91c
December 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
just the ISO
go to http://www.downloads.com and get Active@ISO BURNER. It is a free no limits ISO burner, you can burn cdroms and dvd's with it with just a couple of clicks, very easy to use.
Better yet here is the direct link to it, by the way it is a windows program: http://www.download.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

Bear Knuckle
December 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Just some background info:

A *.iso-file is an image or archive file of a media. The content of the installer CD (files and folders) is packed into one file, for easier distribution (otherwise you would have to check, if you have all needed files in the correct folders, and so on). It is called ISO because how you create such a file is described in a standard of the ISO (short for International Organization for Standardization).

What you did, was to save that file to a cd, but you need to recreate the cd, the iso file is containing.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image