PDA

View Full Version : Are netbooks good?

upapilot
December 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM
The netbooks several laptop manufacturers have launched look cute and cheap. But are they practical enough for making spreadsheets and word Documents?):P

aysiu
December 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM
It depends on how big your fingertips are.

Saghaulor
December 16th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I suppose it all depends on how complicated your spreadsheet is.

My brother seems to think his MSI Wind is more than enough to code C in.

From what I've seen, they run pretty well.

I mean they're not meant to be a replacement, but more of a supplement.

magmon
December 16th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Depends on the one you buy, my dad has one he uses with work and just messing around that is amazing. Low quality built in speakers tho.

earthpigg
December 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
i casually IM with mine... not sure id be thrilled about documents with proper formatting and punctuation, though.

3rdalbum
December 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I've got an Aspire One. The preinstalled Linpus was pretty bad and very restrictive- Acer tweaked it, and I think they did something wrong because I couldn't get the package manager working.

Eventually I installed Ubuntu on it.

The machine is great and it works very well for word processing and spreadsheets. Web surfing with Firefox is a little slow due to the weak processor (that you will find in all netbooks) but it's usable.

maximegb
December 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I've got an Aspire One. The preinstalled Linpus was pretty bad and very restrictive- Acer tweaked it, and I think they did something wrong because I couldn't get the package manager working.

I own a Aspire One, and I kept Linpus, because of the boot time (15 s). What's your boot time with Ubuntu ?

EnGorDiaz
December 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
i use osx on ym netbook msi wind:P

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
The netbooks several laptop manufacturers have launched look cute and cheap. But are they practical enough for making spreadsheets and word Documents?):P

I'm typing this from my netbook atm.

The keyboard gets some getting used to, but I'm typing almost as fast as on a normal keyboard now.

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM

The machine is great and it works very well for word processing and spreadsheets. Web surfing with Firefox is a little slow due to the weak processor (that you will find in all netbooks) but it's usable.

You can tweak firefox to run faster (google it), but the easy solution is to just use Epiphany. It has an adblocker and uses gecko (or webkit, if you want it to).

stefangr1
December 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I suppose it really depends on how demanding you are and on the budget. Most netbooks are somewhere between 200-250 euros, wich isn't a large gap in the budget for most people, but what you get is previous generation hardware. I personally consider it a gadget for entertainment/work when traveling, for people who don't want to spend a lot of money.

Rhubarb
December 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I've got an eee PC S101 (10.2" screen) here.
Just remember most netbooks have 1024x600 resolution.
So it depends what apps you want to be able to use on it.
Big spreadsheets where you need to see lots of real estate would not be too pleasant on a netbook.
It really depends what you want to do with it.

I find watching videos, general browsing, irc, IM, and some games work well on my netbook.