PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] I need a panel but not GNOME or KDE, maybe a desktop (background) window, too

Cracauer
December 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM
What is a good piece of software to have a panel (a top level bar with customizable icons to lanch applications and maybe a lower one to select applications) when you don't want GNOME or KDE.

Calling gnome-panel directly give me kind of what I want, except that it mispositions the panels. Maybe it needs another GNOME part?

Xfce-panel is not capable of dealing my non-Xinerama dual screen. Apart from the fact that it crashes when placing top and bottom on :0.1 it also ends up dealing with the windows on the wrong screen.

Any other panels?

How's GNUstep coming along?

If that works out I really wouldn't mind a desktop (as in a background window where you can move icons around), but one step at a time ;)

gettinoriginal
December 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Not really sure what you asking here, but there is kiba-dock, awn, cairo-dock which are totally customizable. :p

BigCityCat
December 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
You can download avant. It has really nice panel, but you you will probally want to remove your current panel and if you don't have a back up you ma run into problems later. I used gimp to create my own image and then I just installed it into the panel. With the properties option. That works pretty good.