PDA

View Full Version : Amarok 2 regression...

natedawg
December 16th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I have been looking forward to Amarok 2 for a while and now that its out I can't help but be disappointed. I know the Amarok team wants to change the way we play music and make it more intuitive but I think they have really turned a simple task of playing music into a multiple step process that is much more confusing and useless.

I would say 99.9 percent of music players have a excel like table layout for displaying music in your music library. Amarok 2 on the other hand threw out this familiar and simple implementation in favor of something I can't even describe. The new amarok layout dosn't allow you to easily view track play counts, last played dates, or even bitrates or file sizes without clicking on each individual track.

The other major flaw I see is that in order to play anything I have to add it to the playlist on the right. There is no one click (double click) play. To play something I have to navigate through the music collection tree something that take multiple clicks because I have open up the local collection node, artist node, then the album node and finally find the track I want. You even have to do this when searching for songs because the search results are returned with a collapsed tree :( So say I finally select the song I want to play I now have to drag it or right click it and click the menu option to load. Even after its loaded it will not play until the current song playing has ended or you press next.

Overall I'm just disappointed that Amarok 2 takes so much effort to do simple things, and doesn't show as much information as even the most basic music players do. I don't mind dropping the table based interface but replacing it with the interface it has now seems like a big step backward instead of forward.

Please tell me if I'm missing something here... Is there an easier way to search and play music than what I described above? If not then what can be done to make the new interface faster and easier. I think the Amarok team is set dropping the table based layout forever.

EdThaSlayer
December 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I would say 99.9 percent of music players have a excel like table layout for displaying music in your music library. Amarok 2 on the other hand threw out this familiar and simple implementation in favor of something I can't even describe. The new amarok layout dosn't allow you to easily view track play counts, last played dates, or even bitrates or file sizes without clicking on each individual track.

It's different, awesomely difficult isn't it?
I found it weird at first too, now I like it.
Funny, I can find my play counts but I agree with the bitrates or filesizes problem. Can't find them anywhere! Remember, they are trying to simplify things for people that think KDE is too confusing(wish they had an "advanced option" though!

The other major flaw I see is that in order to play anything I have to add it to the playlist on the right. There is no one click (double click) play. To play something I have to navigate through the music collection tree something that take multiple clicks because I have open up the local collection node, artist node, then the album node and finally find the track I want. You even have to do this when searching for songs because the search results are returned with a collapsed tree :( So say I finally select the song I want to play I now have to drag it or right click it and click the menu option to load. Even after its loaded it will not play until the current song playing has ended or you press next.

I can understand the frustration with clicking the "Local collection" button, but that's probably because they are preparing for the internet(so you don't confuse your internet songs with your local ones).

What I do is copy the whole album to the 3rd column so I don't have to go through the process of right-clicking and pressing load.Maybe preparing a playlist will help.

Overall I'm just disappointed that Amarok 2 takes so much effort to do simple things, and doesn't show as much information as even the most basic music players do. I don't mind dropping the table based interface but replacing it with the interface it has now seems like a big step backward instead of forward.

In the beginning it sounds like you do a lot, just wait till you get used to it. At least it looks better!

Please tell me if I'm missing something here... Is there an easier way to search and play music than what I described above? If not then what can be done to make the new interface faster and easier. I think the Amarok team is set dropping the table based layout forever.

Since you don't want the Local Collection to be collapsed, just click on it, and then you can search as much as you want without it collapsing into the "+ Local Collection". At least that worked on my computer.
Keep a letter or word there though! Otherwise it will collapse back into the "+ Local Collection". :KS

Trail
December 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well, playcount and last played time are displayed on the middle-panel (the # icon and the clock icon). Technical details like filesize and rate probably do not deserve to be centralised there, so I agree with the developers decision.

By the way, you don't have to drag and drop the specific track when searching for something.

For example, imagine I want to play Metallica - Seek and Destroy. I type "seek" on the search box, and I get a few artists with names similar to this. If I drag and drop "Metallica" (instead of clicking on Metallica, clicking on Kill em All, then drag and drop Seek and Destroy), then only the tracks from Metallica matching my search will be dropped in the playlist (namely, Seek and Destroy).

Even after its loaded it will not play until the current song playing has ended or you press next.
There was a discussion about this behaviour a while ago (whether to enqueue, play directly etc I mean). I think I agree with the current setting, as I would be annoyed if tracks would interrupt my currect playing song. I prefer to enqueue it. (And by the way, just double-click the track instead?).

Overall I'm just disappointed that Amarok 2 takes so much effort to do simple things

Hmm. It takes a bit of effort to see the differences to 1.4, and get used to it, but I don't think it actually takes effort to *do* those things. After getting used to it, I think it's very fine.

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
You can't just double click (well in kde that should be single click?) the song you want to play?

That alone is a reason to dump the player in favor of another.