PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless networks won't show up in network manager --> Newb Problem

KleinRob
December 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hey o.

I'm alright with computers and I've been fooling around with ubuntu live just seeing if I want to switch from Vista...

anyway. when I go to the network Manager I don't see any networks. so I followed the online help stuff went into terminal and entered: sudo lshw -C network and it spit out two different devices. (I'd post what it showed but I only have the one computer so I'm going from memory.) I'm assuming the 2 devices were my wireless and my wired network adapters? both devices said disabled beside them. so following along in the help directions it says that sometimes devices can be turned off in windows and they need to be turned back on but doesn't tell me how to do this.... so thats where I am at. I've fooled around in device manager but I'm not sure what to do... any suggestions?

also might be important to note that I'm using a broadcom 802.11 B/G WLAN. And I'm running Ubuntu live 8.10. Also my laptop has a switch and a light to turn the wireless on and off. When I boot up into windows the light is blue (meaning it is on) when I boot off the CD into Ubuntu it stays orange (off)and it doesn't matter if I flick the switch... help?

Thanks!!

-Rob

KleinRob
December 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
posted this yesterday no replies... common someone out there's gotta have an idea of what I"m supposed to do from here... please?

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM
You should check out this thread i was just commenting on it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1013110